View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Scientology: The truth rundown
Skeeve
Awesome series by the St. Petersburg Times

http://www.tampab...s/project/

Scientology employs a unique brand of counseling called auditing. In a quiet room, an “auditor’’ asks the parishioner prescribed questions while monitoring a device called an electro­psychometer, or e-meter. Scientologists say there is a “charge” associated with areas of upset in a person’s life, such as marital conflict or a childhood accident.

When such topics come up, the e-meter’s need­le responds. The act of locating the troubling episode dissipates the charge and the needle floats back and forth. The person is supposed to feel better.

One goal is to reach “clear,” a state where the mind’s negative images are gone and the person is said to be rid of all fears, anxieties and irrational thoughts.

John Travolta, Kirstie Alley and Tom Cruise are among the celebrities who have extolled the benefits of Scientology. Parishioners from around the globe travel to Clearwater to be audited by the best. Scientologists come for the deluxe accommodations and the top-flight, “Class 12” auditors, whose services, Rathbun said, cost $1,000 an hour.

But back in 1995, Rathbun says, even the church thought most of its Class 12 auditors were not worth the money. They were burned out, their sessions rote and uninspired, like a doctor with a poor bedside manner.

“These guys are all overweight, they’re obese, they’ve got back problems. They don’t sleep enough,” he said. “And one of the problems, I realized, is for 15, 20 years they’re cash cows.’’

He said they were “just getting milked nonstop.”

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
$1000 an hour? I can think of lots of stuff I could do for less money than that which would do me a lot more good. (Like 'auditing' a college course.)

Bob of QF
Just goes to show, that assclowns like Travolta, Cruise and Alley can be induced to spend their money on trivial pursuit.

Idiots.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
I've sometimes had the impression that some people don't think something is worth much unless they pay as much as possible for it - especially more than the 'average' person would pay for it.

Doubting Thomas
Oh yeah, and the thing they call an E-meter? It's nothing more than a Wheatstone bridge, and all they're really measuring is the skin resistance between the hands of the person being "audited." Google it, and you can find the plans to build one yourself!
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

derF
What the fuck? Have we got two threads running simultaneously on the same topic?
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Oh yeah, and the thing they call an E-meter? It's nothing more than a Wheatstone bridge, and all they're really measuring is the skin resistance between the hands of the person being "audited." Google it, and you can find the plans to build one yourself!

I've been hearing that the E-meter is essentially does the same thing a lie detector test does.

*shrug* dunno.

Hypatia
derF wrote:
What the fuck? Have we got two threads running simultaneously on the same topic?

What the fuck?

That could be entirely possible. KILL! Angry

Pfft

Jump to Forum: