View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheists fight for discount and win
Skeeve
Wilson County Fair (TN) has decided to give discounts to atheists and others after atheist activists spoke up.

Atheists and other non-Christians can get a discount at Sunday's God & Country Day at the Wilson County Fair, thanks to the efforts of local atheists.

Until this week, fair officials were offering a church bulletin discount only to Christian groups attending during the annual God & Country Day. But after local atheists complained, fair officials extended the discount to believers of all faiths and nonbelievers alike.

Read entire article HERE
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
I know Blair Scott although we haven't met in person yet. He's a cool fella.

I think having a fair that promoted gawd fairies is unethical, especially if any tax dollars were spent. (Separation of Church and State violations), but making them give the discount to non-religious people is a step in the right direction. It draws attention to the issue. Maybe next year they will opt to change the name of the fair.

Hypatia
This is really the same thing as holding an event and giving discounts on admission to people who are healthy and able-bodied but not to those who are disabled, or to those who have one color of skin but not another, or one nationality but not another. People would be up in arms and all hell would break loose, and the reporters wouldn't be reporting on what percentages of those groups are which and which aren't.

The only difference is that because of the level of stigma we still allow to be attached to the supposed 'value' of religion and level of ignorance the religious insist on clutching onto in the name of their fantasy we, as societies, don't assign the same level of outrage to this discrimination.

*Edit - and to be clear, I am in no way equating atheists or other non-believers with being 'disabled'.
Edited by Hypatia on 08/17/2008 18:17

Skeeve
*waves his walker at Hypatia*!!!
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
Who in his right mind would want to attend an event called 'God and Country' anyway? Certainly to me, an entrance discount would be about as attractive as being let off adding to the collection plate as an enticement to attend a Southern Baptist church service. Neil

catman
The operative phrase is 'in his right mind'. That excludes a lot of people.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Quite agreed Neil. That's something I thought about as I read the article - what atheist would want to attend an xtian sponsored fair anyway, even if they aren't holding revivals?

Got too busy being incensed about the discrimination and failed to mention the obvious though. Heh heh.

Now an atheist fair with xtians in attendance, that could be good.

*grin*

Hypatia
Skeeve wrote:
*waves his walker at Hypatia*!!!

lol! My crutches could tangle up your walker!

Pfft

Jump to Forum: