View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheists Today after 15 days
Skeeve
I just noticed that it has only been 15 days since we started Atheists Today. I glanced on the Site Stats panel to see who was online, when the number of Forum Posts caught my eye...1025! Then the number of Threads...107.

I'm so happy that my purchase of atheiststoday.com has turned out so well, at least in my eyes. I know that most of you have one or more atheists boards you post to, but I'm glad we're building a nice community here as well.

Thank you for joining and promoting the site to others. I'm crossing my fingers that Atheists Today can get as good or better a run than atheists.com did.

Please don't hesitate to suggest changes or improvements, this site is here for any and every atheist that wants to use it, and input from the members is what will keep it going.

Thank you again.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
Yes, we are a funny bunch of Internet junkies huh? I am so thrilled to have gotten back in touch with so many people from the old site. I've been feeling all kinds of warm and fuzzy.

Considering we have only been online two weeks, we're doing pretty well. As time goes by I think it will become an even more terrific site.

neilmarr
Atheists.com was only as good as its membership, Skeeve. We're lucky here to also have interested and very lively management involvement (it doesn't go unnoticed), and AT membership is already reaching that of 'active' membership at atheists.com in the closing weeks. Full steam ahead and all power to your elbow. With thanks. Neil

catman
Exactly, that's the difference. I liked Majorbytes at atheists.com, but he had too many things going and was largely uninvolved. he expected us to take care of things there; thus, it was indeed only as good as its membership. And since the membership wasn't actually in charge, we didn't have the firepower to do much, especially since THe Owner (damn his eyes) was the final arbiter, even to selling us all down the river.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
At first I thought it was MajorBytes who sold the domain. It wasn't until I called a Bail Bonds company in Texas and spoke with the registered owner that I realized it wasn't.
If I'm not mistaken, MajorBytes lives in a western state. And doesn't own a Bail Bond business, but is an IT guy.

What I'm not sure, but have a strong suspicion of....the people that bought atheists.com are the same Turkish hackers that caused so much trouble in the past.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
I wonder if they bought it just to keep the name out of circulation.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
On the contrary, Cat, I'm sure it was bought becuse atheists.com is an attractive name -- what's called valuable internet real estate. Neil

RayvenAlandria
Well, maybe want to keep it out of circulation...unless someone offers to pay big bucks for it. Then it's a toss up as to whether they are religious zealots and won't take the money just to spite some Atheists, or if they are just greedy scum.

neilmarr
There's some crazy price tag on it, Ray. About $150,000, if I recall correctly. Someone else here might remember exactly. Neil

catman
I don't know exactly. But i think the asking price was $200K, with a minimum of $150K.

neilmarr, it is an attractive name. It will be interesting to see what is done with it. I'm sure there are Turkish atheists, but Majorbytes said that most of the site problems came from Turkish hackers (for what that is worth). I suppose they'll simply sell the name to the highest bidders, wherever they may be. Or it might be worth $150-200K to the present owner to keep it out of circulation.
Edited by catman on 08/17/2008 05:09

seeker
I think the price tag is meant to prevent anyone from buying it.

catman
That's a possibility. That would serve the same purpose as buying it and keeping it out of circulation, except that no one would make any money. Did the Turks buy it for that, or are they asking that much for it? I'm confused.

Hypatia
I'm curious to know what the Turks paid for the site too. As a matter of fact I'd say that info is an important factor, in a way. First they hack the site in an effort to keep us out, then they purchase it. If their selling price is indeed intentionally set so high as to keep anyone from wanting to buy it, then yeah, it's all very interesting.

Anyway, Skeeve, you and RayvenAlandria deserve huge kudos and pats on the back for the awesome take off of the site. Thanks for all you've done to make it such a great place for us to come to have social connection and so much more. It truly is a fantastic site and its easy to see it quickly evolving into even more.
Edited by Hypatia on 08/17/2008 18:43

catman
I could hardly agree more with Hypatia's second paragraph above. Thanks to both of youse.

Jump to Forum: