View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Only two shoplifting days until christmas
Sinny
Not sure if this belongs here or in the interesting videos, etc. thread

Strapped for cash? Don't know how you're going to afford a few gifts for the family? Don't worry about it, just steal them! It's OK because a priest says it is, and they've got the backing of God.....

http://scienceblo...haryngula)

http://news.bbc.c...425420.stm

Well ok if you must steal it's best to take from the greedy Corporate chain stores. Well so much for thou shalt not steal.
Edited by Sinny on 12/23/2009 22:05

derF
I find the best shoplifting venues are at places like the Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul and other charitable sales outlets. They are the least suspecting of people ripping them off and it's easy to go into the dressing rooms and put on two or three pairs of pants and several shirts and walk out without so much as a glance from the employees there. Piece of cake.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
Sinny wrote:
Not sure if this belongs here or in the interesting videos, etc. thread

Strapped for cash? Don't know how you're going to afford a few gifts for the family? Don't worry about it, just steal them! It's OK because a priest says it is, and they've got the backing of God.....

http://scienceblo...haryngula)

http://news.bbc.c...425420.stm

Well ok if you must steal it's best to take from the greedy Corporate chain stores. Well so much for thou shalt not steal.

Shoplifting. Hmmm, that's a new twist. I'm surprised it wasn't, 'Molest young children to get your holiday jollies'.

But isn't, 'Thou shalt not steal' one of the 10 no-no's in the 10 commandments? [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. It was the last time I checked.

derF wrote:

I find the best shoplifting venues are at places like the Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul and other charitable sales outlets. They are the least suspecting of people ripping them off and it's easy to go into the dressing rooms and put on two or three pairs of pants and several shirts and walk out without so much as a glance from the employees there. Piece of cake.

Gee derF, almost sounds like you have a little experience in this department. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/306.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

I haven't boosted anything since I was a kid. Once it was candy and another time it was a pair of sunglasses my sister and I stole from a department store together. My mother found out and made us return them to the store and tell them we stole them. You should have seen the look on the saleswoman's face when we gave them back and told her. We thought for sure we were going to go to jail, but she just looked at us with her mouth open a little, and we left. It was a good lesson to us to have to do that. We were more terrified than embarrassed, and then as it dawned on us that no cops were going to be involved we were sufficiently embarrassed. That took care of that little problem. lol, we thought for sure if we ever did anything like that again we'd end up with a record (police record, that is).

derF
Patia wrote: "Gee derF, almost sounds like you have a little experience in this department. "

Sometimes I think my humor is wasted around here!
Edited by derF on 12/24/2009 22:12

catman
derF: I thought you were serious too. You must remember that there are no cues to go on like there would be in person.

Bob of QF
I agree with derf: if you're gonna steal, make sure it's from a christard outfit.

All you needs do is look for the little fishy on the door before venturing in.

If they threaten to call the cops? Quote the "turn the other cheek" at them....that outta fix it right up... /sarcastic

Grin
Edited by Bob of QF on 12/25/2009 09:52
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
derF wrote:
Patia wrote: "Gee derF, almost sounds like you have a little experience in this department. "

Oh, humor. Humor - ah yes, I get it now. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/vahidrk1.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

You know those white plastic things the stores put on clothing, to make the metal detector at the doors go off if they haven't been removed by sales staff? I find those things really dig into the skin after you get the fourth pair of pants on in the dressing room.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/crazy.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

J/K

Bob of QF
Hypatia wrote:
You know those white plastic things the stores put on clothing, to make the metal detector at the doors go off if they haven't been removed by sales staff? I find those things really dig into the skin after you get the fourth pair of pants on in the dressing room.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/crazy.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

J/K

Those?

Those are simple to get off...all you need is a really strong magnet or three. Or a sharp pair of scissors. You wanted cut-offs anyway, right?

Sometimes banging them against the floor really hard, or slamming the dressing room door on them helps, too.

What I hate, though, are those tiny plastic sticky tags that are in everything these days. You know, those things that make the register "beep" when you put them across?

I think those things will be the end of civilization as we know it: they won't recycle as plastic, 'cause there's metal in'em. But not enough metal to get the metal places to take'em. Even 100. One day, 1000 years hence, orangutan archeologists are gonna dig up human garbage dumps, and attribute some sort of religious significance to these things-- I mean, after they've been zapped, they don't even have any information left to study.

Of course, carrying a pocket knife is useful to remove these from the packages first...

<eyeroll>

Sinny
derF wrote:

Funny thing DerF. Last year I called the Salvation Army to take a couch that was in brand new condition. It was way too big for my living room and too good for the Salvation Army but what else was I going to do since I didn't want to sell it and having strangers in my apt. all night long. Anyway they couldn't take it because they didn't have drivers...and why didn't they have drivers I asked and pressed to have answered? because the last two were caught steeling merchandise donated to the Salvation Army. I was so pissed but ended up donating it to some Jewish Organization.

Sinny
derF wrote:

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Sinny
Hypatia wrote:

Shoplifting. Hmmm, that's a new twist. I'm surprised it wasn't, 'Molest young children to get your holiday jollies'.

Ha they don't dare mention the molestations ...they are already loosing too much money as it is ...nah better off cuttin loose the thou shalt not steal sin this way they can at least attempt to to reel in more christians to come over to their side. They don't know allowing adultery is what would really bring in the money.

But isn't, 'Thou shalt not steal' one of the 10 no-no's in the 10 commandments? [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. It was the last time I checked.

That's why I said "well so much for thou shalt not steal"

derF wrote:

Hypatia wrote:Gee derF, almost sounds like you have a little experience in this department. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/306.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Hypatia wrote:I haven't boosted anything since I was a kid. Once it was candy and another time it was a pair of sunglasses my sister and I stole from a department store together. My mother found out and made us return them to the store and tell them we stole them. You should have seen the look on the saleswoman's face when we gave them back and told her. We thought for sure we were going to go to jail, but she just looked at us with her mouth open a little, and we left. It was a good lesson to us to have to do that. We were more terrified than embarrassed, and then as it dawned on us that no cops were going to be involved we were sufficiently embarrassed. That took care of that little problem. lol, we thought for sure if we ever did anything like that again we'd end up with a record (police record, that is).

ha ha you haven't boosted anything *snicker, snort* LOL. I would never have done that to you Patia. I don't see any reason to humiliate a child into feeling guilt. Making you think the cops would have arrested you and then your find out they wouldn't just goes to show they aren't anything to fear so by the time you reach teenage years you could have become braver and stole more thinking hey they did nothing to me last time. That's what I would have thought.

Sinny
Bob of QF wrote:

What I hate, though, are those tiny plastic sticky tags that are in everything these days. You know, those things that make the register "beep" when you put them across?

I think those things will be the end of civilization as we know it: they won't recycle as plastic, 'cause there's metal in'em. But not enough metal to get the metal places to take'em. Even 100. One day, 1000 years hence, orangutan archeologists are gonna dig up human garbage dumps, and attribute some sort of religious significance to these things-- I mean, after they've been zapped, they don't even have any information left to study.

Of course, carrying a pocket knife is useful to remove these from the packages first...

<eyeroll>

Plastic Sticky tags??? You don't mean the RFID tags, right? They are sown into the garments and can't be removed. I so much hate the idea of them. Unless they are uncoded after being scanned to purchase.

Sinny
catman wrote:
derF: I thought you were serious too. You must remember that there are no cues to go on like there would be in person.

He did remind of a true story of stealing from the Salvation Army and his sarcastic humor is sometimes so good it would appear some people actually really do believe him. Anyways there are people who do wear multiple clothing to steal clothes. Not all dept stores have those big bulky plastic coded alarms on them.

I wonder who puts them on?

The store or the manufacturer?

I already know the customer pays to have them on.

derF
Patia wrote: You know those white plastic things the stores put on clothing, to make the metal detector at the doors go off if they haven't been removed by sales staff? I find those things really dig into the skin after you get the fourth pair of pants on in the dressing room.

I know! Aren't those things a literal pain in the ass?

Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Plastic Sticky tags??? You don't mean the RFID tags, right? They are sown into the garments and can't be removed. I so much hate the idea of them. Unless they are uncoded after being scanned to purchase.

We don't have RFID's sewn in here, as far as I know.

But there are these little plastic thingys that are stuck inside products, typically from the manufacturing plant. They are about an inch long, 1/4 inch wide, and about 3/16 thick or so. Open a typical store-bought DVD case, and inside you'll see one (at least, in the US you will).

Now many things with cords are coming with one attached to the cord itself, meaning you'd have to cut the cord off to remove it-- unless you've wire snips, and are careful.

Even books have the "innards" bound into the spine-- basically a soft metal strip that's magnetically encoded in some fashion. Passing it across a strong magnetic field-- likely one that's quickly reversing back and forth, will randomize it, so that the door detectors won't register it on the way out.

A true RFID tag is never erased, but remains like a UPC code, except it's unique to each and every item like a serial number. Once the item is purchased, that serial number is flagged as sold, and allowed to pass the door detectors without an alarm.

But-- it could be scanned at any time, later, and the item's history could be recovered.... including the place of purchase, how much, by whom (unless you paid cash). For stores like WalMart, that have full-time 24/7 cash register video feeds, theoretically an image of the person making the purchase could be archived somewhere...

That reminds me of something.... what was it? I think it was a number.....

Smile

<eyeroll>

Sinny
Oh ok I know what you mean now Bob. Yeah I've seen those plastic thingy's and some of the cord one's too. The plastic thingy's require some sort of unhooking thingy to unhook the plastic thingy LOL. I've not met one cashier who didn't hate those things. They seem to like the cord one better since they never complain with them.

This is what I hate so much about them Bob, what you said here:

For stores like WalMart, that have full-time 24/7 cash register video feeds, theoretically an image of the person making the purchase could be archived somewhere...

I don't like the idea of being followed home through my groceries, clothes and any merchandise I purchase. What's next putting little covert cameras and recorders in them??

That reminds me of something.... what was it? I think it was a number.....

Smile

ha ha ha ha better watch who you say that too LMAO when we are so close to the feared, the dreaded ........2012 dun dun dun duuuunnnnn...muwaaaaaahhhh LOL.

derF
Here on the Monterey Peninsula there are stores where you can check yourself out. You approach one of these self check out stands where you scan your items, weigh and identify your own fruit and vegetables and pay for them with little or usually no supervision. You can pay with either a debit, credit card or cash. Then you simply bag your items and walk right out of the store. I am sure that these self check out stands aren't prevalent throughout the US but in our relatively crime free peninsula these checkouts are fairly common. Wonder how much stuff gets walked out with for free?

Hypatia
Some of the grocery stores here, and even the Wal-Marts, have those self-checkouts. At the Wal-Marts they're usually supervised, but at the grocery stores it doesn't seem like they're watched as closely, so I've wondered the same thing - what's to keep people from sticking unscanned items in their bags?

I know I'm not going to find out. Sad

Doubting Thomas
Some of the Walmart stores around here and the local Home Depot have self-checkout counters. I don't know how easy it would be to slip something into a bag without scanning it first, but I'm sure someone has tried. Usually they have scales underneath the bagging area which monitors if anything heavy is put there without being scanned, plus the counters usually require you to put the item being purchased there so that it registers that it's been purchased and bagged. When you remove it too early it gripes at you. I think this is to prevent someone from pretending to scan something and then put it right into their cart.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Sinny
Speaking of those scan it yourself and do all the work yourself. I remember when about 4 or 5 years ago K-Mart came out with them for the first time. I had never seen them before then. Everybody who used it got all fumbled, annoyed, complained endlessly so they ended up removing them. Now we all have to wait longer without them and K-Mart cut down on their cashiers because Wal-Mart came soon after they removed them only one town away on the highway.

Now Wal-Mart is coming in the same town as K-Mart only a few blocks away. I guess they won't last much longer. I hope Wal-Mart here doesn't have those do it yourself check outs because the dumbasses here will only slow down the lines or break them.

As far as not paying or scanning that I haven't seen happen in the supermarkets or home depot, the store I truly hate. I think it's possible some small item could get by on the cart but not something of any substantial size with all the security cameras they have now.

Jump to Forum: