THE THING IS SO ANNOYING
IT JUST WILL NOT BEHAVE
FOR EVERY SINGLE MORNING
IT WOULD STAND AND WATCH ME SHAVE
BUT NOW THOSE DAYS ARE OVER
IT SURE GIVES ME THE BLUES
ALL IT DOES IS HANG AROUND
AND WATCH ME TIE MY SHOES.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. My sincerest sympathies.

I hear that eventually my boobs will head in the same direction. They're already trying to take the u-turn.

catman
Ach. No god worth worshipping would allow such things to happen.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Ah, but nature can be so cruel.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/sigh.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

catman
I can't argue with that. At least it plays by the same set of rules with everyone. Small comfort that is, I know.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
I watched a show on t.v. last night about the strides that have been made in growing body parts and organs in the lab. I think that's great - it can mean a lot less people on waiting lists for organs for transplants, and less of them dying while waiting, and also Drs. being able to replace body parts that go missing from trauma, disease or those people are born without.

But they were also talking about the possibility of some people, who have already been born even, being able to live to the age of 1000, and at some point in the future people living forever. I find that a little lofty right now as we haven't been able to get people to live to even 150 or 200 years old.

But I think a lot of people want to live a lot longer than we do on average now, and if we can become successful in knowing how to cure the diseases common to humans I think it could be possible to live much longer lives.

But I wonder how many people really want to live forever? Forever?? I know I don't want to live forever. A 1000 years old? That could be very, very interesting, and maybe I'd want to go for that.

But the obvious problems with getting most people to live to ages in the hundreds or forever is that this little planet we're on can't possibly, at the rates we reproduce, hold all those people. It's overburdened now as it is.

So unless we find other planets capable of sustaining human and animal life, we're out of luck on that one. And the show didn't address that at all. Well, it was only an hour long - not even that with commercials. So guess maybe they couldn't squeeze in all the answers!

catman
My main concern would be with quality of life, which is affected by aging itself, not just diseases. Macular degeneration is a biggie; my mother is 89 and in remarkably good general health, but she couldn't renew her driver's license because of it, and she's always been a very good driver.

I share your concern with overpopulation. It is the driving force behind many of the problems this planet has. Not enough Lebensraum, and not enough to go around.

BartholomewRoberts
Tomorrow is my birthday.

Doubting Thomas
Nobody cares.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

BartholomewRoberts
Yesterday was my birthday.

Hypatia
catman wrote:
My main concern would be with quality of life, which is affected by aging itself, not just diseases. Macular degeneration is a biggie; my mother is 89 and in remarkably good general health, but she couldn't renew her driver's license because of it, and she's always been a very good driver.

I share your concern with overpopulation. It is the driving force behind many of the problems this planet has. Not enough Lebensraum, and not enough to go around.

I think proponents of the idea are thinking by the time we can make people live for 1000 years or more we'll have treatments for the diseases that cause us to die now (I know you got that Cat), but still, I don't see how we can overcome all the disorders and diseases humans are afflicted with anytime soon - just look at how far we are from being able to cure most cancers, diabetes, the effects of spinal cord injuries, etc.

Doesn't mean it'll never happen, but currently we're far, far from it.

I really like that we've progressed to the point where we can grow skin and even some body parts. I think it would be great if we progress to being able to grow organs from stem cells.

catman
I agree on all counts. Now, if only more of us could afford such procedures as you mentioned are available now.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Nobody cares.

She knows that. She must be bored over at R 'N R so wants to piss around in our stuff here.

Lulz, 'an all that.

Jump to Forum: