View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Kowboy
I saw Avatar last sunday in 3D at an IMAX theatre. It was really good. The critics are full of crap.

Kowboy

derF
Right wing critics who saw the movie as a slap in the face to industrialists and the results of the military industrial complex were the ones who objected to the movie. I loved the movie, the theme, the action sequences, special effects and originality. I can see how it was so expensive to produce. Estimates were around 300 million dollars. I WILL watch it again.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

BartholomewRoberts
I liked it which surprised me. Generally anything hyped as much as Avatar was is going to fail to live up to expectations. While it's not the best movie ever made, I did enjoy it.

Cynic
I liked it too. A good friend of mine (who is right wing) objected to the themes, particularly the parallels to what early America did to the Native Americans because he feels that's just the way life is and people should just consider such tactics acceptable. The mind boggles.

I do wish more had been explained about why this unobtanium is useful and what, if any, connection it had to the floating rocks. Such exposition would have been bad for the movie, IMO, but I want to know anyway. Smile

It's not a criticism, but by making all or most Pandoran life so literally connected, it approaches being a false parallel to our own situation. I'm willing to accept when Sully said that we'd "already killed our own mother" that he was just caught up, but for me it kind of detracted. On the other hand, our interconnectedness might be less literal, but it's still real.

Theory_Execution
I thought it was shit, but it does explain perfectly what happened to all the native Americans. They painted themselves blue and moved to Pandora.

I dont even like the theme, all togetherness, life as an interconnected thing to whit should draw respect in any form - if so, why the fuck were half of the tribes warrior tribes?

That annoyed me. But to be honest, beyond the colours I saw nothing new in the film that couldnt be patched together from good childhood films like Hook and lesser films like Last Samurai.

I suppose the CGI was really good, and now that they have that sorted for all movies, its about time they looked at working on the stories and content.

BartholomewRoberts
Cynic wrote:
I do wish more had been explained about why this unobtanium is useful and what, if any, connection it had to the floating rocks. Such exposition would have been bad for the movie, IMO, but I want to know anyway. Smile

What could unobtanium and the floating rocks have to do with one another... [img]http://rantsnraves.org/images/smilies/hrmm.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Cynic
The point being, if they're chock full of unobtanium, there's an awful lot of low hanging fruit (!) there that would obviate their need to go after the natives.

Theory_Execution
The floaters were in some freaky highly magnetized environment were they not? It kept messing with the guidance systems, and scanners, but it couldnt have been in flux or their ships would have failed to function at all.

Maybe they were hanging from sky hooks? We all know those exist.

I do think they should have got the head scientist into one of those walker mechanoid things, and for the life of me, I cant think why that would be fitting Cool

Jump to Forum: