View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Islam
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Learning at the tip of a whip
Skeeve
Senegal

It hurts too much to lie on his back, so the 7-year-old has spent the past month stretched out on his stomach. His two grandmothers sit on the hospital bed beside him, fanning the pink flesh left exposed by his teacher's whip.

It's progress that Momodou Biteye is in the hospital at all. It's also encouraging that the Quranic teacher who did this to him is behind bars.

But what is most significant is that the boy's father - a poor farmer who sold part of his harvest to pay for the bus fare to the hospital - filed the charges against the teacher himself. In doing so, this man with cracked lips and bloodshot eyes braved the wrath of his entire village, including his own father, who considers all teachers in Senegal's Islamic schools to be holy.

http://news.yahoo..._for_islam
Edited by Skeeve on 08/17/2008 11:39
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
What a horrible article. That is religion for all to se. It's incredible that such a travesty can have such a hold.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Sharia law is almost a dead cert for the UK. Can't help worrying that a) this behaviour might become commonplace b) the Moslem-appeasing British judicial system will go some way to condoning it as a 'religious practice' which lies outside civil law. Court sanction of religious barbarism (wife beating, etc) is not without recent precedent in Euope. Neil

Edited to remove smiley. If you don't like using smilies or find that some are automatically generated by a symbol -- in this case b) -- I've now found you can disable them by ticking the 'options' box below your proposed post. N
Edited by neilmarr on 08/18/2008 01:39

catman
It's appalling how supine the UK is with respect to Islamic BS.

I've noticed that 'no smileys' box before. I also noted that there is at least one combination of punctuation that makes one, just like on the late lamented atheists.com. 'Wink Ah, that's it, the single apostrophe followed by closed parenthesis. There are likely others, but they can be eliminated by using the same trick many of us used over there.
Edited by catman on 08/18/2008 02:21
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
If I remember rightly, Cat, you've seen the Pat Condell videos on the bend-over-backwards appeasement approach to Islam in the UK. If anyone hasn't seen these witty, well informed, incisive clips, just go to YouTube.com, key in Pat Condell, and take your pick. Cheers. Neil

Jump to Forum: