View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
House approves intel bill after removing provision penalizing cruel interrogations
Skeeve
http://www.startr...99827.html

The controversial provision would have subjected intelligence officers to up 15 years in prison for interrogations that violate existing anti-torture laws, including the use of extreme temperatures, acts causing sexual humiliation or depriving a prisoner of food, sleep or medical care.

What the hell is wrong with these people?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Skeeve
*bump*

catman
I do not understand how that could be a "controversial position" for anyone with a sense of ethics. Oh, wait. Silly me. It's Congress.
Edited by catman on 03/03/2010 01:15
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
I have to get back to this thread later I'm tired and not sure I fully understand this. I don't care for torture since it would likely make the person say anything just to make the pain and fear stop.

I remember those pictures I saw on the internet when I think it was Iraq detainees or whatever were being tortured. The soldiers claimed they were told to do what they did. It didn't seem like it was organized at all and appeared to be soldiers completely out of control with authority. Torture isn't really necessary. Look at the guy who was arrested in NY a deal was made with him and he spilled everything without being tortured. Though I'm sure his family will need to be relocated since they will kill them for his I guess it would be treason to them. 15 years is excessive for failing to obey orders/rules.

catman
The ends justify the means? That appears to be it in a nutshell.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
My 'faith' that much of anyone in our government has (and more importantly has the balls to show it) any common sense and decency diminishes daily.

derF
Obviously Republican/conservatives don't give a flying f**k about anyone but themselves and people who can aid them in their quest for more wealth and power. Everyone else, in their eyes, doesn't deserve to be given the time of day.

Democrats, for their part, don't have the cajones to face up to the neocons and use their majority to force through legislation that puts policies like this to an end. Just look at the wimpy way they have handled the health care bill that they should have rammed through congress months ago. Democrats are just WAYYYYYYY too timid.

Edited because that's just the way I am. Damn it.
Edited by derF on 03/04/2010 00:59
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
derF, you are right. The "bipartisan" concept was and is a huge waste of time. With the Party of No, there is no point in it, although ideally it's the right approach. How it can be said that we have "the best healthcare system in the world" is mind-boggling. Our best healthcare practitioners are probably equal to the best in the world, but that's not the same thing at all.
Edited by catman on 03/04/2010 01:44

Jump to Forum: