View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why Do Intelligent People Still Believe in Religion?
Hypatia
'Useful Mysticism'? Seems like a misnomer to me. I certainly don't need an alter of any kind to remind me of what is important and meaningful to me about life.

But I do kind of like those little gongs that some people are so fond of these days. Wouldn't buy one though.

And I do appreciate the plug for massage therapy this guy gave. I highly recommend it. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/128fs318181.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Forum Admin Notice:
Updated video link

Edited by Skeeve on 04/08/2013 09:23

catman
The guy seems fairly intelligent and made some good points, although I don't need an altar or feng shui either. I like my clutter. No one else has to. Mysticism is only useful as an object of derision.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
Catman, I have various altars and I will defend them.

The mantle over my fireplace has numerous artifacts from parts of my life. Several native american pieces. a piece of granite, a bird's nest, two sugar pine seeds, the skin of a rattlesnake my father shot, the women chasing two geese that was my mothers, there is even a portrait of a saint given to me by my raised catholic daughter in law, it all sits there reminding me of who I am and where I came from.

I spent an excessive amount of money restoring a clock given to my father for working for the same company for 25 years.

I will defend altars because I have them. Altars to that which is not sacred I will not defend.

It is one's definition of what is sacred that is important.

edited because I can't spell for shit and the brain sometimes does not differentiate between alter and altar, and neither does the machinery.
Edited by JohnH on 03/01/2010 03:03

catman
JohnH: As you have on your mantle, I've got some prized mementos too, in various places. Your mantle isn't what I think of as an 'altar'. which is a pedestal or tablelike structure used in religious ceremonies. In a broader sense, though, I suppose it is. I would avoid calling it an altar because of the religious connotation.
Edited by catman on 03/01/2010 00:38
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
JohnH wrote:
Catman, I have various alters and I will defend them.

The mantle over my fireplace has numerous artifacts from parts of my life. Several native american pieces. a piece of granite, a bird's nest, two sugar pine seeds, the skin of a rattlesnake my father shot, the women chasing two geese that was my mothers, there is even a portrait of a saint given to me by my raised catholic daughter in law, it all sits there reminding me of who I am and where I came from.

I spent an excessive amount of money restoring a clock given to my father for working for the same company for 25 years.

I will defend alters because I have them. Alters to that which is not sacred I will not defend.

It is one's definition of what is sacred that is important.

Our bookshelves, along with the books, and mantle also house a mix of things attached to memories - rocks of various sizes, colors, shapes (something my husband and his family and I have in common - a love of collecting rocks), pine cones, sea shells and other things from the sea, quartz, jade, amethyst, geodes, malachite, crystal, a pair of my baby shoes, lighthouses, loads of pictures, etc., etc., etc. - nearly all of which have a connection to a special memory of someone, an event, place, activity, etc., for us. We're particular about what we have around the house, on shelves and walls, displayed - we're not into meaningless (to us) knick-knacks, or having every inch of flat surface taken up by something or other.

But, I'd be hard pressed to ever call any of it 'alters'. And I certainly don't need any of what we have to help me remember what is important to me about life and living, nor to 'ground' me, etc.

I've seen lots of alters in people's homes and businesses, and I don't care if that's their thing, but I hold no respect or interest in religious alters, per se.

But I do understand what you mean about keeping and surrounding oneself with things from our (and other's) lives, our pasts, that represent people, events, places, etc. that mean something to us.

JohnH
I chose words that have religious connotation somewhat consciously. I have certain things and people that I have reverence for. The things have no great value and none of the people are "important".

I understand where the words come from, but I dismiss all indication of worship.

I would ask where are the words of great respect that do not imply some sort of religious connotation. I am not sure I know of any.
Edited by JohnH on 03/01/2010 03:23

Theory_Execution
I think tat collecting increases as one gets older. Little memory nudges laying about the house shows a fulfilled life I suppose in some way.

I have tended to collect locks, screws and free things I have been given. Not always for the worth in memories that I place on them, but for a potential use they may one day meet.

I have never had a massage.

catman
I accrete stuff because some of it may be worth something someday. I'm a 'pack rat', I admit it.

Some of the things I hang on to are not valuable in themselves, but are links to a previous enjoyable experience.

Doubting Thomas
It's amazing how much stuff the wife & I accumulated over 10 years of living in one spot. After we get moved we hope to get rid of a bunch of stuff we have no real use for.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: