View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
-UPDATED- Gates to announce changes to ban on gays in military
Skeeve
Defense Secretary Robert Gates is close to announcing changes in the way the Department of Defense enforces the law that bans openly gay people from serving in the military.

“I think he is prepared to offer a way ahead on that subject this week,” Geoff Morrell, the Pentagon press secretary, told reporters Tuesday.

Gates will address “the changes that he is going to be making to the department's policy to provide for a more humane enforcement and application of the law,” Morrell said.

The Hill

They are dragging their feet on this, IMO.

*UPDATE POSTED BELOW*
Edited by Skeeve on 03/24/2010 21:20
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
Yeah, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was a pretty lame policy. In effect it really changed little, just that recruiters would no longer ask a prospective recruit if they were gay. However they could still kick servicemembers out (and they did) if they let it be known that they were gay.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Skeeve
Discharging a gay person for violating the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy will draw unprecedented scrutiny under new orders from Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who is already pushing to repeal the ban on gays serving openly in the U.S. military.

Guidelines to be announced Thursday call for testimony from third parties to be given under oath. The discharge of enlisted personnel must be approved by officers who hold a rank equivalent to a one-star general or above, according to military and defense officials familiar with the plan. They spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement.

Yahoo News
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
I'm not sure I see how this makes things better. Some of the worst anti-gay bigotry in the military comes from the command ranks.

catman
I was thinking the same thing.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: