View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » European Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gordon Brown triggers general election with Labour closing in on Tories
Skeeve
Gordon Brown will today take the journey from Downing Street to Buckingham Palace to trigger a 6 May general election to be fought on a Labour manifesto that promises a series of bold initiatives to reform public services in a programme of "national renewal".

A draft of the manifesto seen by the Guardian pledges that an unprecedented fourth-term Labour government would be "bolder about the role of state intervention in markets" and deliver sweeping constitutional change. Failing police forces could be taken over by their neighbours under one radical proposal.

From The Guardian

Theory_Execution
What a load of tosh politics is. Each side shouting about how the other is going to fuck this or that up while making wild unsubstantiated promises about how they will fix this social ill, erradicate this gap in the law or give handjobs to anyone who will cross their name at the ballot.

I do not give a fuck about what one side thinks the other has done wrong, I have lived through the bastard fuck-ups. I want a politician with solutions, not some prat who can reel off a six mile list of problems.

The other thing is, the country still needs to be managed, to be guided and patched up after the worst economic collapse I have ever seen (im only 23). But now any politician with a hardon for scamming the tax payer will be wearing out their silver tongues on any podium or soap box going.

They all rush the journey to find their brains have fell through their ass and they are left hopelessly locked into a position they do not have the resources for.

Edited to remove some foul language.

Skeeve
So...how's that election stuff going?

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:
What a load of tosh politics is. Each side shouting about how the other is going to fuck this or that up while making wild unsubstantiated promises about how they will fix this social ill, erradicate this gap in the law or give handjobs to anyone who will cross their name at the ballot.

I do not give a fuck about what one side thinks the other has done wrong, I have lived through the bastard fuck-ups. I want a politician with solutions, not some prat who can reel off a six mile list of problems.

The other thing is, the country still needs to be managed, to be guided and patched up after the worst economic collapse I have ever seen (im only 23). But now any politician with a hardon for scamming the tax payer will be wearing out their silver tongues on any podium or soap box going.

They all rush the journey to find their brains have fell through their ass and they are left hopelessly locked into a position they do not have the resources for.

Edited to remove some foul language.

Amazing how dismally similar your politics sound to ours here in the US.

catman
No kidding. Whatever idealism I once may have possissed concerning American politics is fairly extinguished.

Theory_Execution
Hey sorry Skeeve, I did see this post yesterday, but forgot to respond.

The three main party leaders have been having televised 'debates'. Strangely, in historical terms, the leader of the Liberal Democrats seems to be coming out on top.

People are sick of the current politicians (a mix of mainly Labour and Conservative) using the system they created to rob from the tax payer. All three main parties (and the increasingly popular fourth racist party called the British National Party) are pushing the agenda of cleaning up government - but the only two that have any semblance of credability are the Lib Dems and BNP, as they have not been so embroiled in the scandals.

The disturbing point is that the BNP have, throughout their history, had the leading policy of exporting non-british and closing our borders to non-whites. They were forced earlier this year to finally open their member base to non-whites after they were likely to be disbanded for being a racist organisation. Of course they changed after much upset and admitted a few self hating 'darkies'.

They have seen a huge increase in popularity because of wars with dark countries and what people see as the islamification of the UK. But the truth is it would be disastorous for them to get into power - for one I would be deported to Ireland and most people in the UK would be deported if we were to follow their guidance.

The Lib Dems are the most popular in the ratings at the moment - I have voted for them in the past, but as they supported the Digital Economy Bill, I will not vote for them this time. I will not actually vote for anyone.

Skeeve
'Patia is right...you could be talking about Repubs and Dems.

It is a shame that nationalism and racism still control so many people.

Theory_Execution
The thing is, there are people who dont describe themselves as racist, who for all intents and purposes are not racist, but they are that pissed off with the current government that they are going to vote for the BNP.

catman
That's the problem with politics: You can't vote for one thing without also voting for a bunch of other things.

Theory_Execution
Apparently Gordon Brown is it trouble now. He called a lifetime labour supporter a bigot to a collegue after he had been smiling to her and thanking her for her time.

He was picked up on a microphone he forgot was on.

Now, lets assess the situation. A woman asks a quesiton: "Where are these eastern european immigrants coming from?"

To which he responds, 1million eastern europeans have come to this country, 1million UK citizens have moved to eastern europe.

Now, he answered in the expected way, not at all and with a fuzzy (large numbers, supported by little evidence) fact.

But is the woman biggoted? No, she asked a stupid question. So I am not shocked that he will talk about people behind their backs, everyone has done it at some point - I am more disturbed by his poor judgement.

JohnH
TE, so what is your assessment of the election now that it is over. It seems likely from here that some sort of government will be cobbled together and then fail after a few months.

Theory_Execution
The whole world is laughing at the UK, not for failing to vote in unison for a well geared party, but for the shocking events at the polling stations.

Registered voters were turned away at the ballot boxes, for problems such as running out of papers and not having been processed quick enough to get in before the 10oclock closing.

Yet again we will have another few years of a government that was not voted in by the population they are said to represent. Is called democracy, but it dont look, taste, sound nor feel like it.

catman
It sounds just like an American election.

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:
The whole world is laughing at the UK, not for failing to vote in unison for a well geared party, but for the shocking events at the polling stations.

Registered voters were turned away at the ballot boxes, for problems such as running out of papers and not having been processed quick enough to get in before the 10oclock closing.

Yet again we will have another few years of a government that was not voted in by the population they are said to represent. Is called democracy, but it dont look, taste, sound nor feel like it.

Yeah, our democracy looks very similar to that sometimes.

My condolences T_E.

Theory_Execution
I have been looking at the Greeks and their rioting. Instead of taking it on the chin as we have done over here, where people have been forced into debt and lost their jobs only to sit around and get depressed, the Greeks took to the streets rioted and stuck it to the government.

The recession was the result of big banks being greedy and big government igrnoring it. Yet, its the average man/woman that foots the bill while the rich get richer.

Sometimes I think a dictatorship, out and out, would be better for this country - at least they would be honest about the system then.

catman
A benevolent dictatorship is fine in theory. It's finding a person who is truly benevolent to be the dictator and keeping him that way that is the problem.

Theory_Execution
I could do it, let me have a run of the country for five years and id get it in a workable order.

Skeeve
Tories and Lib Dems 'positive' after talks

Senior Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are to hold more talks about the possibility of their parties forming a new government.

Conservative and Lib Dem negotiators will meet at 1100 BST - after leaders David Cameron and Nick Clegg met on Saturday for private 70-minute talks.

There will also be a meeting of Conservative MPs at 1800 BST on Monday, the BBC understands.

The Tories won the most election votes and MPs, but are short of a majority.

I think in these instances, I prefer our "two party system". (even though technically it isn't)

Coalition governments seems chaotic to me.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
You say that, but in the time we have technically had no clear government, stocks have shot up in price and the pound has strengthened.

This can only mean that our nations would be better without governmentsSmile

Skeeve
I second that thought!
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Jump to Forum: