View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » My precious!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My critters
RayvenAlandria
I'm sure they were red eared sliders. That's the species that used to be sold everywhere back then. After many children caught salmonella it became illegal to sell baby turtles.

catman
Ah, OK. i never heard of the salmonella thing in connection with them. I thought they were cool pets, although they didn't usually live for long.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I'm sure they were red eared sliders. That's the species that used to be sold everywhere back then. After many children caught salmonella it became illegal to sell baby turtles.

Sadly, the salmonella didn't come from the turtles, but from the unsanitary food sold as "turtle chow". Was usually a horrible collection of dried insect parts-- probabily floor sweepings from a flour factory*....

But, on the other hand, the collection methods to get the baby turtles was the opposite of environmentally friendly, and most of the catch died before getting to the stores, and the fate of the most of poor critters was "short, brutish and nasty".

So I suppose It's a good thing all around it's over.

On the other hand, most kids suffered not at all from having them, and doing their personal darnedest to keep them alive. (me and those like me) Not to mention learning a thing or three about responsibility, hygiene, care of reptiles, behavior of the same, so on and so on and so on.

Probably did my personal immune system a good turn, too-- all that exposure and practice.

That some kids got sick over it all, and the subsequent banning of the whole thing seems over-the-top.

Too much antiseptic in the world as it is: at the current rate, humans will no longer be able to fight off bacterial infections, for want of useful antiseptics. Our habits of "disinfecting everything" is breeding stronger and more resistant bugs at a fantastic rate...

*sigh* Kids should be allowed to take some chances, get dirty, get sick, break a bone or three, get cuts, scrapes, injured knees, bumps on the heads, and such.

These are valuable lessons in life, not to mention they help jump-start the body's natural defense and repair systems.

We are raising a generation of softies with little or no ability to fight off infections and repair injuries.

Not to mention little personal experience in dealing with the same.... I heard on the radio just the other day, on NPR, about a woman who ran to the door, and yelled at her son, "Son! What is our rule about sticks?" "Oh, right. Sorry mom." as the kid reluctantly drops the stick....

.... sticks are off limits? A friggin' stick????

As I said.... overprotected soft-headedness...

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

schmoo
Well I have to admit sticks are off limits for Bug because the next step in that little parade is someones parents yelling at me because my idjit offspring jammed the stick into, or concussed, their own darling child.

Though I'm totally with you on the whole dirt thing-I'm convinced children have to ingest a certain amount of dirt and insects in order to grow up healthy.

catman
Bob of QF: Right you are. The unnecessary use of antibiotics is coming back to bite us, what with staph infections and the like. I have an acquaintance who went to a hospital for an unrelated matter, picked up a staph infection, and fought it for months. He thought it was going to kill him and it nearly did.

I still remember being ten or twelve years old, working on a hole in a friend's back yard for weeks, just to see how deep we could go. As I recall, about six feet; the clay layer was extremely difficult to dig though. We finally gave it up. The friend's parents weren't happy about the yard.
Edited by catman on 08/09/2008 16:40
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

willie
Ah Luigi
i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/19willie69/CIMG3873.jpg

That's a trick of the camera. He's not 30 foot tall. Although that would be well cool.

Hypatia
It's probably a good thing he isn't. It would take a crane to lift his pooper scooper.

;cat;

*Edited to replace 'I'd' with 'It would'.

I'm not gonna scoop any pig poop! I've got enough poop to deal with thankyouverymuch.

;5ugh; blech. ack. ;pukeright;
Edited by Hypatia on 09/17/2008 18:11

Hypatia
A few nights ago on the local evening news I heard a story about an Oregon woman who was busted for having 728 red-eared slider turtles in her house and for selling them. They're illegal in OR and WA.

Some members here may have the same thought I instantly had - 'Oh no! Say it isn't 'TurtleLady'!' She's a member who used to post to A.com and is, as her user name indicates, very fond of turtles. I didn't think TurtleLady would be involved in anything like that, but I was still relieved when, after doing a Google search for news stories and finally finding one that listed the woman's name who was charged, discovered it was indeed someone else.

This is an article about the incident, although I can't seem to find the one that actually had the woman's name in it now.

http://www.katu.c...77044.html

I hope TurtleLady will find her way to us sometime soon.
Edited by Hypatia on 09/16/2008 17:57

catman
I hope TurtleLady makes it here too. It seems that she was in a somewhat precarious domestic situation.

Jump to Forum: