View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Florida School Prayer Bill
Hypatia
A School Prayer bill in Florida that passed both the House and Senate and is awaiting Gov. Charlie Crist's signature would allow teachers and coaches to take part in student-led prayer and worship. Crist has until Friday to approve or veto the bill.

http://www.cfnews...dents.html

TALLAHASSEE -- Before the whistle blows and after every victory and defeat, prayer can be a way of putting the game in perspective.

But in public schools, religion is a touchy subject.

It's a fact high school junior John Bielby knows all too well.

“I know our football team prays a lot before and after games, and those are always student-led,” Bielby said. “Once a coach gets involved, it might get more influential or less influential, and it kind of becomes a slippery slope.”

That's why some school districts have regulations requiring coaches walk away when a prayer begins.

There's a bill awaiting Gov. Charlie Crist's signature that would allow coaches, teachers and principals to take part in student-led worship.

Critics said the real issue is as old as the 230-year prohibition on blending church and state.

Even though a teacher wouldn't be allowed to lead a prayer, their very involvement could be a sign that line is being blurred.

Before Rocky Hanna became principal at Leon High School, he coached football for nearly 10 years. He said he always avoided talking religion, fearful about crossing the line between God and government.

“It's very emotional, especially for adults, because part of the Christian faith is, or a big part of it is to try to get others to believe, is that how many people can we save, how many more can we get to follow us to come to Christ,” Hanna said.

The problem for kids who believe in different religions or no religion at all is that kind of pressure can be a lot greater than the challenge of athletic competition.

Gov. Crist has until Friday to approve or veto the school prayer bill.

The bill passed both the House and Senate by comfortable margins.

What do you think the chances are that Crist will approve the bill?
Edited by Hypatia on 06/02/2010 17:40

catman
That doesn't surprise me, since almost all news is bad. I wouldn't want to live there anyway. (Instead I'm in Texas, that shining beacon of enlightenment.) [gag]

seeker
He'll sign it. He's in trouble with conservatives in Fla so this will be the bone he throws them.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
I didn't doubt that for a second!

Bob of QF
Someone will sue. They will lose in low level courts, but it'll go to SCOTUS, which will declare it unconstitutional...

Idiots-- it's just a complete waste of scarce resources that could be better served.... you know... educating actual students.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
I'm getting so sick of these little attempts to gradually insinuate religion into places that it doesn't belong. It's like the 'In God We Trust' on our money. Religious folks will keep up these attempts as long as they see some results and probably continue even if they don't. We have to keep rubbing their noses in the constitution and reminding them that just because they are deluded doesn't mean that the rest of us want to be.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
Well put derF.

seeker
I'm with you on that derF.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
They won't quit. They're afraid that if they don't annoy enough people, they'll not get to their heaven.

Jump to Forum: