View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Happiness Is...
Hypatia
Happiness is...

Coming home to find a big dog waiting for you, wagging their entire body, dancing back and forth and covering you with licks because they're so happy to see you - and you've only been gone a couple of hours.

Man, I just love that. That's such a good feeling. Makes me wonder how many humans have ever been that happy to see me. Me thinks the list might be rather short.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2uge4p4.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Bob of QF
Dogs are amazing. Grin

Contrast with many cats: you return home from an extended weekend-- and indeed Dog demonstrates his happiness with his whole being.

Cat? Cat opens one eye, barely moving her head in your direction, and inquires: "Oh? You've been gone, then? That would explain the food dish. No matter: I've eaten your tropical fish. Oh, and I've shit in your spare shoes. Just so you know... "
Edited by Bob of QF on 08/03/2010 09:43
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
My cat is more like Hypatia's dog. He hates being left alone. All I have to do is pet him and talk to him, and the purring begins.

Cats get a bad rap, just like bass players.

Theory_Execution
The thing is, what would you do if someone did greet you in that way, you would turn a very suspicious eye on them.

catman
Define "someone" and "that way".

My cat talks to me a lot, especially after I've been gone for several hours. He's glad I'm home again, but reproaches me for having left. (Maybe if I kept tropical fish, that would solve part of the problem.)

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:
The thing is, what would you do if someone did greet you in that way, you would turn a very suspicious eye on them.

I see what you mean, if you're talking about humans. But wouldn't it be nice to know that someone was that happy to see you, and had no ulterior motives?
Edited by Hypatia on 08/04/2010 13:10

Hypatia
catman wrote:
My cat is more like Hypatia's dog. He hates being left alone. All I have to do is pet him and talk to him, and the purring begins.

Cats get a bad rap, just like bass players.

I think that's so sweet, that your cat misses you that much and shows it. Maggie gets pretty chatty and affectionate at times, and sometimes she's there with the dogs when one or both of us comes home, but it's usually when she wants food or to be petted that she gets affectionate and yeowing.

She cracks me up, because when she's in the same room with me and I sneeze, almost every time she'll say, 'Yeow' right after I sneeze. It always makes me think she's saying 'gesundheit'.

Oh, and I personally have never given a bass player a bum rap. Smile

catman
Well, since Willie is displeased any time his food dish is empty, I'm sure that's a part of it.

Thank you for your egalitarian treatment of bass players.Grin

Bob of QF
Smile

Oh, I have two cats, and no dogs... I'm a cat person, you see.

A dog cannot help being what he is: he's literally genetically programmed for loyalty to the point of worship.

A cat? Not so much-- winning the affection of a cat is something, in my not-in-the-least humble opinion-- you have to work at it beyond a simple food dish.

Winning the affection of a dog? Just feed'em... he'll come around, sooner than later.

Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
Dogs are great. But dogs have no sense of time. You can leave and be gone for weeks and they will turn cart wheels of exuberance to celebrate your return. Or, you can step out the door just long enough to retrieve the morning paper and they will turn cart wheels of exuberance to celebrate your return. You just gotta love 'em.

Bob of QF makes a pointed point. (If such a thing is possible.) Dogs have been in the service of mankind for so long that they are now the most highly evolved species who's entire existence is to serve mankind. They can literally read us like you would read a book. They are as sensitive to our emotions as we are to our own emotions.

The National Geographic channel has a special airing this coming Sunday about the superb, extreme and extended relationship between man and dog that I think is called, appropriately 'Mans Best Friend' or the like. Look for it in your TV guide.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
My cat can read me. He knows exactly what to do in order to cause the greatest inconvenience possible.

Jump to Forum: