View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Net Neutrality-Or Not
Hypatia
I'm not liking this one bit.

On Monday Google and Verizon are expected to announce a deal that could lead the way in non net neutrality.

http://www.saveth...ernet.com/

http://www.huffin...71617.html
 
Theory_Execution
That is the way the net has been going ever since it opened up to the world, hence why diligent folk have been trying to invent the new internet.

Take youtube for instance, that start is a video sharing website, with little in the way of advertising and lots of user generated content. Now, with the front page suggestions, by region and the first half viewed on your window sold to companies for advertising you are lucky to find a minutes worth of viewing that is free from ads.

Even the user submitted content has a little pop up appear in the window covering their video.

The US restrict viewing of their programs that do make it online, the Uk does the same. China is looking more and more liberal with its internet policies compared to those passed in the UK of late.

It will be sad to see the internet die, but it is inevitable.
 
seeker
Enjoy it while its free.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
 
Skeeve
The internet gives the people power. Can't have that.


"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
catman
I suppose I'll be going back to snail mail before long, as long as I can afford stamps.
 
derF
Look, I like and admire the guy, but lets face it, Al Franken is not the best spokesperson possible to lead the fight in keeping the internet free in all ways. But at least he has the courage to speak up so we have to back him. What other choice do we have?
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
catman
His public image as a comedian makes it easy for conservatives to take him less than seriously.
 
Bob of QF
It appears to involve rotating water flow surrounding their movement; you will notice that the bubble-ring always moves in the same direction the dolphin is moving, and that the dolphin is always moving when they create these. I suspect it also has to do with the water-flow against the super-smooth (to be clear, it has to be glass-smooth) viewing window, allowing some sort of laminar flow across it's surface.

I would be interested to see if these animals could do this in open water-- which I doubt.

The pool is small enough, that the movement of the animals affects the whole water-flow in it.

I also wonder if there's not some sort of mucus involved, not unlike a soap-bubble has to have soap-film trapping a microscopic layer of water to form the soap-bubble.

Interesting.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
Wrong thread, Bob. But possibly a good answer. It's over my head.
 
Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
It appears to involve rotating water flow surrounding their movement; you will notice that the bubble-ring always moves in the same direction the dolphin is moving, and that the dolphin is always moving when they create these. I suspect it also has to do with the water-flow against the super-smooth (to be clear, it has to be glass-smooth) viewing window, allowing some sort of laminar flow across it's surface.

I would be interested to see if these animals could do this in open water-- which I doubt.

The pool is small enough, that the movement of the animals affects the whole water-flow in it.

I also wonder if there's not some sort of mucus involved, not unlike a soap-bubble has to have soap-film trapping a microscopic layer of water to form the soap-bubble.

Interesting.


Hmm, interesting thoughts. I too wondered if dolphins in the ocean do this, though I think it might be hard to detect if they do.

I'm curious about how long these dolphins have been doing this or when it was first noticed, and if anything in particular happened before they began doing it. Also, whether all dolphins in captivity are doing this.
 
Hypatia
[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/237.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. Pfft

Ah well, derailments happen.
 
Theory_Execution
That is the best topic derailment of this year, must be.
 
Kowboy
Theory_Execution wrote:


Take youtube for instance, that start is a video sharing website, with little in the way of advertising and lots of user generated content. Now, with the front page suggestions, by region and the first half viewed on your window sold to companies for advertising you are lucky to find a minutes worth of viewing that is free from ads.

Even the user submitted content has a little pop up appear in the window covering their video.



Theory Execution:

What do you expect for free? We get free porn, so there are commercials. I've got a choice between free porn with commercials and pay porn without, I'm taking free every time.

Let the marketplace work it's magic. Everything will be fine.
 
Hypatia
http://www.alfran...lity_vid/f
 
Theory_Execution
Kowboy:
What do you expect for free? We get free porn, so there are commercials. I've got a choice between free porn with commercials and pay porn without, I'm taking free every time.

Let the marketplace work it's magic. Everything will be fine.


But it wont, the reason I moved to watching things online was so I was not constantly bombarded by the same nonsense adverts over and over again.

I like to watch things fast too, so when you are waiting for the website to cycle through four adverts to watch 7-8 minutes of program its annoying, and then, if for some reason you need to refresh said page (disconnected for a moment) you are forced to watch through all of the adverts you have passed AGAIN!

Computer games do the same too, when your trying to get to the good shit fast you have to go through all of the company shorts, some little video about their logo - i couldn't give a fuck about seeing it again after two times - but thankfully, you can delete those files from the game directory. You cannot do that with the website adverts easily.

I think I would prefer it if they sat me through ten minutes of adverts that they were using that month, and i selected that i didnt want to buy any of the shit, and then they would freely let me watch stuff.
 
Kowboy
TE:

So you want free without commercials? Doesn't that seem at all selfish to you? Should satellite radio not charge you, just beam music into your car because you're a nice person? Did they have any expenses launching and maintaining those satellites?

Nothing is free. Not even sex from your wife or girlfriend; everyone gets something in return.
 
Theory_Execution
I want free; it is not free if you are expected to give away that which you would rather keep.

Yes, it is selfish, what is wrong with that? Youtube seemed to operate perfectly well before the addition of all of these pop-up ads in the main window. Maybe they should rename the site Youtubewestickadvertsoverandannoyyourviewers.com

Does satellite radio charge me? I dont use it. But a nice point can be made here. The law (Digital Economies Bill) recently passed in the UK was under the assumption that free reign on the internet was allowing people to share media, which in some instances was not done so by the person (corporation) who owns intellectual propoerty rights, diminishing revenue due to loss of sales (absolute bullshit). Their claim is that there is plenty of opportunity to get the music in entirely legal means. But due to the commercial aspect of modern music, the radio repeats the newest songs over and over. What of the good old stuff, music of yesteryear. How is this promoted?

I mention this because there was no doubt a time when radios would dedicate a lot of music to customer requests, user submitted content if you will, but commercials took over and started pushing their agenda. It may have begun with a few promoted songs, a slight diminished playing of user requested music. Then before you know it, all that is played is the fast buck, lyricless dribble they call pop. The advert became the entertainment, true content was dropped.

People will and do give freely.
 
seeker
Kowboy wrote:
...

Let the marketplace work it's magic. Everything will be fine.


If recent events in the US have proven anything it is the tendency of an unfettered marketplace to work to the detriment of the average individual. We don't need the Enron/Goldman Sachs type mentality running the internet
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
 
Hypatia
derF wrote:
Look, I like and admire the guy, but lets face it, Al Franken is not the best spokesperson possible to lead the fight in keeping the internet free in all ways. But at least he has the courage to speak up so we have to back him. What other choice do we have?


Since the FCC and anyone else who could have a chance of doing anything about this has bailed out it looks like Franken is what we've got to work with.
 
Jump to Forum: