View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Call him drunken Ira Hayes he won't answer any more
JohnH
America spits out its war veterans. No more concrete example is the Pima Ira Hayes. Found dead in his own puck because he was a helpless alcoholic.

War begets troubled people. We americans, as the most war mongering state in the last 200 years should think about this much more than we do. And, we should do much more to protect those who go to war in our name.

seeker
The sad part of all of this for me is that the people most likely to want war are usually the people least likely to want to either pay for it or take care of its participants once its over.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
seeker: ...let alone take part in it! It's easy to be a 'patriot' when there is no chance you are going to be shot at.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
Funny thing, last night on Real Time with Bill Mahar they showed the famous photo of the president of Montgomery Ward being arrested because he refused to pay taxes to support the war effort in WWII. What's going on now isn't new, it's gust that now our crazy people are in power.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
catman wrote:
seeker: ...let alone take part in it! It's easy to be a 'patriot' when there is no chance you are going to be shot at.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Our veterans certainly deserve to be well cared for, and respected. We need to be more aware of how people who have been in war are affected by the experience, and the depths to which those experiences affect them and their lives, for the rest of their lives. Just because a soldier comes home with both legs and arms and isn't in a wheelchair doesn't mean they aren't affected, most likely for the rest of their lives.

JohnH
All the above is accurate. I am by nature a pacifist. I would caution all from harming my children or my wife or my grandchild however.

George W. Bush did exactly what I did, he found a way to avoid service in Vietnam. I am honestly ashamed of that fact 40 years later. He has no shame and reveled in his lack of service. I on the other hand console myself in the belief that it would have been senseless for me to die in an unnecessary war.

We as a nation must honor and protect those who serve in our name. We must also take great pains to make sure that service is in a justifiable cause.

Our history is such that for the most part that service has not been justifiable. It is our nations shame that this is so.

Jump to Forum: