Print Thread
Massive off-shore quake in Japan triggers tital wave
Bob of QF
In case anyone's missed the news:

http://www.dailyg...310_tsumi/
http://edition.cn...i.warning/
http://www.bloomb...quake.html
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Bob of QF
Video-- (a post I did on another site)

Sendi Japan has suffered a massive tsunami wave, after an 8.9 revised 8.4 seaquake off shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTJy5mWejA&feature=player_embedded#at=47

Warnings for Russia and many south pacific islands around the area, even as far away as Hawaii, California and Washington/Oregon.

I weep for those who did not get the message in time to clear the area.

I rejoice for those who did-- and I thank the hard-working scientists who made it possible to give such warnings. 50 years ago, the death toll would be thousands of times worse.

Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
Video-- (a post I did on another site)

Sendi Japan has suffered a massive tsunami wave, after an 8.9 revised 8.4 seaquake off shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTJy5mWejA&feature=player_embedded#at=47

Warnings for Russia and many south pacific islands around the area, even as far away as Hawaii, California and Washington/Oregon.

I weep for those who did not get the message in time to clear the area.

I rejoice for those who did-- and I thank the hard-working scientists who made it possible to give such warnings. 50 years ago, the death toll would be thousands of times worse.

Ramen brother Bob. But for every one who can see that there are however many more that are thanking gawd for those who survived or whatever it is they're thankful for.

In this video Neil deGrasse Tyson says "If you're scientifically literate the world looks very different to you".

I don't mean to hijack your thread, But a lot of the people who are giving gawd the credit are the other side of the coin - the world looks very different for those who aren't scientifically literate too.

catman
I saw it rated at 8.8 magnitude while ago. In any case, it was devastating. That image of all those cars & trucks swirling around in a huge whirlpool will stay with me.

Sendai, Japan is a "sister city" of Dallas, so the latter has offered all help possible.

Just this year, a bad one in New Zealand, then one in China near its border with Myanmar just a day or two ago, and now this one.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
Tsunami waves have once again hit Crescent City CA killing one. The town was badly damaged, with 11 people killed by tsunami's after the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. It's harbor was also damaged after another earthquake in Japan in 2006.

Crescent City near the Oregon border is built on a low sand spit. It is probably no more than 10-15 feet above high tide on average.

Reading a little more after posting this I found out that the topography of the nearby sea floor contributed to Crescent City's susceptibility to tsunamis.
Edited by JohnH on 03/12/2011 15:24

catman
That doesn't seem like a good place to be IMO. Even so, compared to what Japan got it was nothing. (But the USA will get a big one all too soon.)
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Earthquakes happen. Frequently, too. Some sort of earthquake is happening right now, somewhere on earth...

One of hundreds of reasons why the Earth is not very human-friendly....

... which makes me ask: how much of an idiot do you need to be, to think this place was designed for humans?

JohnH
Come on Bob you know the answer. The invisible man in the sky had to leave some flaws in the system so when he wanted to he could literally shake us up. I am sure it is something like Japan was not becoming christian fast enough for him.

JohnH
Catman, living in earthquake country I know all too well. And simply put, we in this area have not done a good job about improving building codes and forcing older buildings to be upgraded. I should talk my self. I am an engineer (not civil or structural). When we had to have a new roof about 20 years ago I did not have the foresight to make some simple structural upgrades that would have improved the earth quake resistance of my then home.

It is an institutional problem also. I am sure you remember the world series earthquake of 1989. I can still see the sidewalk on Market St. undulating underneath my feet. Well the Bay Area kind of took that to be a sample of what the worst might be and patched things up and went on with life. A couple of points should have been made then but were not. The quake was centered something like 60 miles from San Francisco and was only about 6.9 or 7.1 depending on which measuring system is used (remember these are logarithmic scales so the Japan quake was about 100 times more powerful). It was no where near the big one. Further the myth was perpetrated that the major cause of significant failures in the Marina district was due to liquefaction. This was not true. I saw many pictures of buildings in that area and a far greater number had soft story failures, not that liquefaction did not play an important role. A soft story failure is where there are so many openings in the ground floor of a building that when the earth imposes unusual forces that story cannot support the upper floors. Buildings like these are very common in San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area. I lived in one in Oakland for about 4 years. My current house worries me some because my bedroom is over the garage as far as that goes.

Within a month of the event, when people were still talking about earthquake preparedness and what could be done to improve the situation, I remarked to a co-worker that by next year this would be a short article in the local paper, he agreed. Sure enough on the first anniversary a short article on the lack of earthquake preparedness and any real push to upgrade older buildings appeared buried back in the paper.

I do have to note that because of the Cypress Structure failure a lot of money has been spent, removing (the notorious Embarcadero freeway being the most obvious example), replacing or upgrading elevated freeways in the state.

Also, California has some of strictest building codes regarding earthquake resistance in the world. I am pretty sure I have been told that Japan's codes are even more strict. The problems are with older buildings, those built before 1970 or so and even more so buildings built before 1950. Obviously the bulk of buildings in most of the state particularly the older parts of the state. I would suggest for example that 95% of the buildings I am in with any frequency were built prior to 1970 and as many as 50% prior to 1950

Earthquakes are only sexy when they happen. Even people who should be acutely aware of their dangers tend to ignore them until they happen. And the popular media does little to improve the situation.

Sorry for this long winded rant on a somewhat personal subject. I have been concerned about earthquakes since the Daly City quake of 1957. It was only a 5.3 quake but close enough to where I was it scared the piss out of me.
Edited by JohnH on 03/12/2011 19:02

Bob of QF
California is due for another major quake, sure enough.

Not if, but when...

... interestingly enough? There are geological evidences of earthquakes all across the US, that go back millions of years.

They are called "fault lines" and these are everywhere...

Earthquake-strengthened building codes ought to be mandatory for all new construction, IMO.

An added benefit? If it is strong enough to withstand earthquakes, it's much more resistant to tornadoes, too...

Skeeve
Funny you should bring that up.

http://www.ogs.ou...azardT.php

I live on the Meers Faultline, which is the red line on the map at that link above.

The New Madrid Seismic Zone (not pronounced like the city in Spain) fault will probably the source of another major quake after the West Coast.

catman
JohnH: I know someone who was living in Northridge in an apartment, two miles from the epicenter! She had quite a tale to tell.

The footage of the tall buildings in Tokyo swaying during the earthquake was amazing. If it hadn't been for the 'shock absorbers' in the construction, I'm sure the death toll would have been much higher. I hope the West Coast cities in the USA have something similar.

JohnH
Catman, shock absorbers have become a somewhat common addition to new construction, although the only building that I know for certain used them was the new San Francisco Main library built across the street from where I used to work. As a comment, the library is a beautiful building from the outside but totally wrong inside, the architect should be shot.

An apartment in Oakland I lived in was very similar to the apartments that failed in the Northridge earthquake.

Bob of QF, it is interesting that you bring up the possibility of increased resistance to tornado damage offered by earthquake resistance. When I started as an engineer structural engineers said much the same thing, that earthquake resistance was much the same as wind resistance. In the intervening years it was realized that there is a vertical component to earthquake accelerations as well as the horizontal ones. That is one of the reasons that older seismic codes may not protect as well as newer ones.

I agree that seismic codes should be applied properly across the country. It is obviously to all our benefit. The greater problem is older buildings. On the way home last night I stopped for a whiskey. Going outside to smoke I noted that most of the buildings around me were at risk of significant damage in a major earthquake, including the building I was in.

Skeeve, thank you for mentioning the New Madrid earthquakes. I was thinking about that as a way of pointing out that this is a concern not limited to the west coast. I must also ask you if you are comfortable that the building you live in is reasonably safe, how close are you to the actual fault.

Skeeve

Use the "-" button above to see how far Lawton is from Meers.

Skeeve
Wow. First person video of flooding from tsunami.

http://ow.ly/4dvh0

If you can't view it, let me know and I'll convert and repost to our video library.

Bob of QF
Skeeve, your last 2 posts don't appear to work.

The previous one displays an error, "Unable to view in a frame"

The video seems to be in a format that my browser does not recognize...

Skeeve
Ok, I'll post it to Videos when I get home.

The other post was Google Maps. Probably another browser issue.

eta: Video added:

http://atheiststo...ideo_id=37
Edited by Skeeve on 03/14/2011 11:42

catman
Holy crap. That must have been like the world coming to an end. Just think of all those people, some trapped in their cars, washing out to sea. And yet some can see something good about it.

Bob of QF
The video sort-of worked.

What was amazing to me, is what was the videographer standing on while he was filming? A car is hardly secure, as the video itself demonstrated...

Skeeve
Looked like a concrete stairway leading down to the parking lot. He moved up at least twice during the vid.

Did ya'll notice the road directly in front of him was completely dry when the video starts?

Jump to Forum: