Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Apple 'Gay Cure' iPhone App
Hypatia
Excuse me, you say WHAT tf??

http://www.huffin...37698.html

At least there are a lot of complaints.

I'll never buy an Apple if they don't drop this, and now I may never buy one anyway.

Apple Under Fire For Approving 'Gay Cure' iPhone App From Exodus International

Apple is under fire for approving a controversial iPhone app created by a religious organization that seeks to help gay individuals become heterosexual.

The application, "Exodus International," was created by a ministry of the same name that says its mission is to "[mobilize] the body of Christ to minister grace and truth to a world impacted by homosexuality."

The app's description notes, "With over 35 years of ministry experience, Exodus is committed to encouraging, educating and equipping the Body of Christ to address the issue of homosexuality with grace and truth."

It received a "4" rating from Apple, which indicates the company considered the app to contain "no objectionable material."

Yet many disagree with Apple's assessment and are demanding that it be removed.

"No objectionable content? We beg to differ," wrote TruthWinsOut.com. "Exodus' message is hateful and bigoted."

Change.org has launched an online petition calling for Apple to remove the app that has garned over 21,000 "signatures."
Story continues below
Advertisement

The app received 85 five-star reviews--the highest rating--from App Store users, but it also received nearly twice as many one-star reviews.

"What a shameful, deceptive app," wrote one user. "Disgusting."

Shameful and disgusting, at least.

catman
Appalling. I was considering an Apple laptop. Sexual preference is not a choice, in any case. One can pretend to be something he isn't, but that's different.

So now everything is center-justified? Not that it really matters.
Edited by catman on 03/20/2011 15:52
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
Unbelievable. Sad

Bob of QF
Sick fucks.

No two ways about that, is there?

I've said in the past, and now it's re-confirmed: if you gave me an iPhone, fully-paid? I'd sell it on Ebay the same day...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
"to a world impacted by homosexuality" I would ask impacted in what way, the simple existence of homosexuality. I found this phrase particularly interesting. I suppose the same people would say impacted by muslims, jews, atheists any defined as the other. With the term impacted intended to be negative by definition, which is incorrect.

I looked at their website, not thoroughly, there is only so much of that kind of nonsense I can take. From what I could tell, aside from the basic premise that homosexuality is both unnatural and a sin which can be corrected by coming to jesus, it was quite mild mannered. There was even a specific policy against bullying.

These people are very misguided but from what I could tell not hateful. They are not at all similar to WBC.

Skeeve
Just signed the petition to try and get Apple to remove it.

http://www.change...

Hypatia
Signed. Thanks for the link.

catman
I signed it as well.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
"Impacted by homosexuality"

It is more prevelant... along with interracial marriage et al. This is only due to the drop in hatred of and laws against them.

I did however recently buy a PC game, and its jam packed with homosexuality - and for reasons I do not know. Its one of these RPG type games, and historically they have a 'blossoming friendship' scenario in them but it is rarely critical to the story and frankly boring - but in this new game, as the people (avatars, NPC whatever) are following you round they are constantly talking amongst themselves about carpet munching and the like and then you can essentially chat up anything.

I just do not understand why these things are in the game. Maybe they are trying to make it more acceptible in some long winded way - but sitting down and thinking for five minutes can do that... Let me kill stuff in peace.

seeker
Does anyone know how this app is supposed to work? I'm having difficulty imagining a phone app dedicated to curing homosexuality as anything other than a poor joke.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
I really don't know, and wondered that too. My guess is that it amounts to proselytizing.

cheshiredragon
I am sorry to say that I support this. NOT in the sense that all homosexuals need to die, but that I have bought a brand new APPLE laptop that I bought 1 mo ago. I refuse to get iPhone even though my company provides it now. I said fuck off and went with Droid X. I won;t sell my uber laptop, but I have signed the petition and now have questions as to why APPLE has approved this shit app. I will be inquiring why this app was approved.

Theory_Execution
It is easy to see why it was approved. Theres a big christian market, there are young homosexuals troubled by their religions, there is money to be had - it is that simple.

Big companies rarely consider the ethical, mostly the numerical. My greatest example at the moment is the Health Insurance I have through work, they have homeopathy on the books (Simply Health). Even though I contacted them, passed on the recommendations of government, directed them to studies - the response I got was, it proved to be popular - generated income, so we stuck with it.

The interesting part will be to see how Apple react, do they drop support of this app and continue unchanged until the next one rears its head - or do they commit to actually reviewing content?

cheshiredragon
In all honesty I think after enough public 'outcry/bitching' about this, they will most likely have a review. IMHO it will be short lived like the "baby shaker" and few other apps.

Theory_Execution
Either way, im generally against these smart phones. I find myself sat in pubs watching the top of peoples heads as they search the web, play games and tweet (I will never join that thing).

I like my tinterwebs, but theres a time and a place for everything - and it seems technology is moving to being able to do everything everywhere on one device at once - im not a fan.

catman
I have very mixed feelings about them. Sure, they are impressive technologically, but people tend to get so wrapped up in them that the virtual world becomes practically their only world. I don't have one. I'm very tired of the whiz-bang commercials.

I heard that the app was done away with.
Edited by catman on 03/24/2011 00:49

Hypatia
I received this in an email from Change.org a couple of days ago at an eamil addy I don't go to everyday, so I've just seen it now. It explains a bit about how the app was supposed to 'work'.

Dear Change.org member,

"Curing" gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people? Yep, there’s an app for that -- unless we can convince Apple to get rid of it.

A controversy is erupting around a new application for the iPhone that claims gay people can be "cured," and that gay kids should be put through therapy to "fix" their sexual orientation.

Believe it or not, Apple is providing Exodus International -- an organization that promotes "conversion therapy" to try to brainwash gay people into turning straight -- a platform on iTunes for their homophobic iPhone app. This, despite the fact that Exodus believes that LGBT people should be confronted with "spiritual warfare," and that "freedom from homosexuality" should be a societal goal.

Worse, Apple has given the Exodus app a 4+ rating on iTunes, labeling the app "non-offensive," even though the group tells gay kids that their sexual orientation is "immoral," "satanic," and in need of a cure -- factors that contribute to teen suicide.

The grassroots group Truth Wins Out has started a petition on Change.org, asking Apple to follow their own editorial standards -- and remove this dangerous "ex-gay" app from iTunes now. The more signatures they deliver, the more likely Apple executives -- like Steve Jobs -- will do the right thing. Click here to add your name.

Apple has been a strong ally to the LGBT community for years, even donating $100,000 to defeat California’s Proposition 8, the state’s ban on marriage equality. Just a few months ago, Apple actually removed another app from iTunes that labeled same-sex couples "immoral sexual partnerships" following pressure from Change.org members and others.

Exodus International’s "ex-gay" app deserves to be pulled from iTunes as well. "Conversion therapy" has been universally condemned by every major medical and scientific organization around the world. The American Psychological Association, American Medical Association, and American Counseling Association have all rejected "ex-gay" therapy, saying that it results in catastrophic damage to the mental health of its victims.

And then this in an email dated 3/23:

Amazing! After more than 150,000 petition signatures from Change.org members and saturation media coverage, news outlets worldwide are reporting that Apple has pulled an iPhone application launched by Exodus International that claimed to help "cure" gay and lesbian people.

Skeeve
Cheer

Jump to Forum: