View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Happy rebirth day
JohnH
This second most important day in the christian calendar has always mystified me. There are certainly reasons for us in the northern hemisphere to celebrate the rebirth of the earth. It is the readiness with which christians have adapted pagan myths and incorporated them without adherents seeing that adaption for what it is. I understand that much of the common rituals of christmas have been adapted from pagan myth and practice, including the virgin birth.

But the rebirth myth is so obviously associated with various agrarian cultures myths. It very much more screams stolen myth than christmas does on the face of it. I will forever be mystified why christians do not see through this theft.

JohnH
I found this today on a 49er site that I frequent. I thought it would amuse here.

http://www.landov...reggs.html

There is an internal like in the description of the book that leads to an article called, "The Truth about Easter.

Christians seem able to link some of easter's traditions to fertility myths but do not make the basic connection between those myths and the whole rebirth thing. To me this takes a high level of non thought to accomplish.

seeker
I think that there is a sort of weird 'everyone thinks its true so it must be' thing going on here. During the Greek and Roman periods people noted all these similarities in religions and assumed they were evidence of some underlying 'true' religion. That is really what the whole mystery religion era was all about, different gods all with more or less the same attributes.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
And deviance from the accepted line is strongly discouraged by many.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
That pretty much came with Christianity. Before Christianity religious belief was somewhat more flexible.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: