Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hawking: Heaven For Those Afraid of the Dark
Hypatia
As usual, Hawking is right on.

And 'only in America' - yeah. Sigh.

http://abcnews.go...d=13611922

British physicist Stephen Hawking may think that heaven is a mere "fairy story," but he's hard-pressed to find those who share his perspective on this side of the pond.

This weekend, the U.K.'s The Guardian newspaper published an interview with Hawking in which the celebrated scientist said, "there is no heaven. ...that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

Hawking has expressed similar beliefs in books and previous interviews, but the statement sparked headlines in the U.S., where a large percentage of the population believes in a religious afterlife -- both good and bad.

The 68-year-old Hawking, who was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, when he was 21, is not unfamiliar with contemplating the possibility of an afterlife. He told The Guardian that he's lived with the prospect of an early death for nearly five decades.

But the internationally known scientist and author said, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

catman
A great quote! As usual, Hawking is absolutely right. Thanks, Hypatia!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
Anyone want to take bets that when Hawking dies there will be rumors of his deathbed conversion?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
I'm sure there will be rumors to that effect, although I'm 99.99% certain he won't!
Edited by catman on 05/17/2011 14:48
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
seeker wrote:
Anyone want to take bets that when Hawking dies there will be rumors of his deathbed conversion?

I suspect it will be the same when Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and Dennett die. Most especially Hitchens.

Bob of QF
And, as Hitchens pointed out?

Even if there is a deathbed "conversion"... so what?

The only thing it proves, is that at the point of death, some people's brains are dying faster that the rest of their body, and they become a bit insane there at the end.

It's still not proof of any magic, invisible sky fairy.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: