Print Thread
What a View
Hypatia
Wow, this is some view:

View from an astronaut's camera

http://www.bing.c...onaut|msn|
Edited by Hypatia on 06/12/2011 13:06

catman
Very beautiful images and effective music. Thanks, Hypatia.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Too cool for words.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Photon
Another image that is awesome: Shuttle Endeavour, docked to the ISS, as seen by the Soyuz craft Expedition 27. You can click and zoom in and read Endeavour on the side!

[img]http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/557590main_iss027e036747_full.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

catman
Very cool indeed.

With my binoculars, I've seen one or another of the shuttles leading or following the ISS across the sky several times as the shuttle approached the space station (they can both be seen without binoculars, but they help my lame eyesight). It's very cool to see.

It is sad to think that the next shuttle launch will be the last.
Edited by catman on 06/17/2011 01:56
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Photon
I was 7 years old when the first Shuttle launch (Columbia STS-1) took place in 1981. I was captivated, and kind of grew up on Shuttle missions, I only wish there was a thing like NASA-TV when I was a kid. Columbia was destroyed the same week as my daughter's birth, some 22 years after its maiden voyage. I collected the newspapers from the week she was born, that was tough to see.

The Challenger accident really affected me, I remember I was 12, in Grade 8, and even though they I don't remember a live feed at school, there was huge interest for that mission due to Christa McAuliffe, there was an announcement, and we watched it on the news at home.

When Atlantis lifts off this summer, it will be the end of the Shuttle program, and given the state of the U.S. Budget, NASA might not be far behind, despite its continued success, especially with robotic/spacecraft missions. And that is sad. But hey, they top 2% income bracket needs its tax cut.

I had a childhood dream of going to Mars, and now it looks like the most optimistic scenario for a manned mission to the Red Planet is 25 years from now. I won't be an "old" man then, but near enough I guess. Would they take a retired college professor just for shits and giggles?

catman
I remember when I was 11 years old, my dad took me out in the back yard and pointed out Sputnik I. I got a cold feeling of "Uh-oh!" Then the early launch-pad disasters...but it all worked out by Apollo 11.

It's sad to see it all wind down. Now we will have to depend on the Russians to get to the ISS and back!

Jump to Forum: