View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » YouTube
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Vibrations
Hypatia
A cool video showing vibrations in slow motion.

I like the cymbals and the dog shaking his head.

This video was made by the Fluke Corporation. http://www.fluke....vibrations

Photon
Very cool! The cymbals were much more "fluid" than I expected.

catman
I did an experiment with cymbals about 40 years ago. I had a three-speed reel-to-reel tape recorder with which I recorded the sound of several different cymbals at the highest speed, then played them back at the lowest speed (one-fourth of the original recorded speed, or two octaves lower). The really good cymbals had a beautiful series of distinct pitches in their sound (nearly a whole-tone scale), while the inferior ones didn't. Also, the sound of drumsticks clicking together sounded like a pair of huge logs colliding! And taking the sound of high-pitched instruments down two octaves was very interesting. It was great fun.
Edited by catman on 06/27/2011 14:50
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
I did an experiment with cymbals about 40 years ago. I had a three-speed reel-to-reel tape recorder with which I recorded the sound of several different cymbals at the highest speed, then played them back at the lowest speed (one-fourth of the original recorded speed, or two octaves lower). The really good cymbals had a beautiful series of distinct pitches in their sound (nearly a whole-tone scale), while the inferior ones didn't. Also, the sound of drumsticks clicking together sounded like a pair of huge logs colliding! And taking the sound of high-pitched instruments down two octaves was very interesting. It was great fun.

I was lucky enough to have one of those myself-- a multi-track one. If you used all 4 heads, it would do 4 tracks, one-way on a 1/4" tape. If you used 2 and 2? You could do stereo each way of the tape.

One thing it did not have, was reverse-playback. That took some clever doings on my part.

But it had 3 speeds, and I used to play around with those myself.

Fun!

Oh, and it was so old? The amplifier was tube-based...

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I've still got the one I was talking about, but it is 2-track. I later bought a Teac that takes 10.5" reels and has 4 tracks, but it only has two speeds (7.5 and 15 ips). Unfortunately, neither is functional. The 2-track needs a new motor and is clapped out, but I don't think the Teac needs much. perhaps just a new drive belt.

All this stuff is so ancient now...for $800, one can buy a 24-track CD recorder. But I think it only has one speed. Cry
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Yeah, the days of playing around with analog stuff are about to be a long-lost artform, I fear.

I suppose somewhere or other, there are digital sound-engines that let you "speed up" and "slow down" the sounds, but if they are working with digital media, it's pseudo-speeds only.

It's just not the same as physically moving an analog signal at different speeds, in different directions, past a magnetic pickup.

*sigh*

My old recorder died long ago, of belt failure-- and nobody anywhere had anything even close. That thing (once I opened it up) had 6 or 8 belts, doing various things...

... even the speeds were belt-changes! The motor was a high-quality, governed type clockwork motor, independent of the Hz signal of the mains.

It was a nice machine, I really should have hung onto it-- now? I am certain I could rebuild it, and simply fab-up new belts. Belts are easy....

.. re-creating the whole is what's hard.

*sigh*
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I think belts are fairly easy to get online, too. eBay has a selection of them!

Yeah, I still love tape recorders. I guess that certifies me as an old geezer (as if there was any doubt). I'll be 65 on 5 July, which makes it official.

Hypatia
Hey Cat - happy (belated) birthday.

Smile

catman
Thanks. At least I'm not the "late" catman. I read about your unpleasant visit to Texas...this summer is hideous. My allergies are acting up most of the time, and I don't like to go outside much. The "low" temperature this morning was a humid 80 degrees F (high 102 F, and forecast to be 103 for the next three days). And it'll be over 2 months until the next cool front. Jesus H Christ.
Edited by catman on 07/08/2011 00:33

Jump to Forum: