View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hot Summer
Skeeve
We've had about 20 somethings days of triple digit temperatures here in Lawton, with today's high forecast to reach 110.

How's the weather out there amongst the other members?

I'm thinking that England would be a welcome relief to Oklahoma weather. Grin

Bob of QF
Hotter than hot.

Since most A/C's in Oklahoma are designed with an average 95 degree summer? None are keeping up.

Especially if they are old-- 20-30 degrees below the outside is the best they can manage... and that is flat-out, continuously running.

Can you hear that high-pitched whine? That's your electric meter, spinning...

... expect electric bills of $300+

And no, I cannot "fix" it so that it will get your 50 year old, poorly insulated, leaky-windows house down to 68 degrees...

... what you want is a walk-in FREEZER, idiot.

The most expensive unit in the world is designed for the max lowest operation of 72-70 degrees!

Setting it at 68 will ruin it, the first time it rains and the outside temps drop below 80...

... and no, putting it on 68 will >>not<<, repeat, not make it get colder faster-- it's not a gas pedal.

A/C's have two speeds: Off and Max-Throttle.

The temperature setting does not affect how quickly it can cool your house down-- it will get to temp when it gets to temp, and not a second faster.

...meh...

Move to Alaska.

Or better yet? Mammals of your obviously superior size really ought not to be out of the water....

(thanks.... I needed to get that off my chest...)
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
On the last leg of a 4 week road trip through the south west to New Orleans up to Kentucky and then basically back west I can attest to the fact that this has been a hot summer. Normally I detest AC in cars and just roll down the windows. That would not have worked in the weather that I have been in. Some days leaving the car and getting to the air conditioned building we were headed to could be a real struggle.

Fortunately I am back to the dry west in Utah, what a glorious state of mind, and will not have the humidity to deal with any more.
Edited by JohnH on 07/14/2011 10:47

catman
Fort Worth has had about 20 100-degree days so far. The highest has been 105, slightly cooler than Lawton but with more humidity. The worst thing about the weather is the high minimum temperatures. The lows have been around 83 degrees, so the A/C never gets a break. It sucks to go outdoors at 4 a.m. and break into a sweat.

I want to move to NM or Far West Texas, where there is low humidity and it cools off at night. I noticed recently that in Marfa, TX, the high was 100 but the low was 55. I could live with that.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Three digits! Your blood would boil!

Ha, it was hot a week or two ago, but its pretty mild here now - our office gets to 28 degrees cenitgrade if the a/c isnt on - I feel uncomfortable in anything over 24 degrees centigrade.

Hypatia
Oy. Heat is disgusting. Unless you're cold, of course.

Today the high was just 93F. The last couple of days the temps have been down due to storm clouds that have only brought rain to the city one time. Otherwise our temps have mostly stayed around 99F - 100F.

I was in the Austin, TX area for several days, until last week. THAT heat, combined with the humidity, was murder. Ack. Ugh. Blech.

As most of you probably have heard by now, New Mexico has been burning. And burning. We have the Wallow fire, that started in Arizona and crossed over into NM. And the bigger, Los Conchas fire, in and around Los Alamos. It just missed Los Alamos National Labs. It looks like we're finally past all the horrible smoke we were having from the Wallow fire for several weeks. But we still had the better end of it - at least we weren't having to evacuate like Los Alamos and several smaller towns.

There are a few smaller fires burning around the state too, and now the concern is the thunderstorms in the Los Alamos area - the threat of more fires from lightening, and the fact that there is major flooding predicted for some parts of the state. Seems like one of those feast or famine things - severe drought conditions for over a decade now, the fire season and now the impending floods.

Guess I can't complain - our triple digit heat is still to set in.

catman
T_E: You are uncomfortable above 24 C? That's only 75.2 Fahrenheit according to my calculations. I'd be almost cold in that, but it would feel wonderful. I'm used to about 78-84 F (about 26-29 C).

The low temperature this morning was 84 F/29 C. The high was 103 F, or over 39 C. I don't like it much, but it will be this way for about two more months. Frown
Edited by catman on 07/15/2011 00:13
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
I went to Germany last year, around mid-June. The temperature hit 32C (89.6F) and I was dripping, did not like it one bit. That is the hottest weather I have been in for many years.

I have lied in my earlier estimate, I just checked the temp of this room, it reads 27C (80.6F) and its making me want to sleep (I don't imagine I would want to do much moving in this).

The air conditioning unit, when on, brings the temperature down to 20C (68F). I wouldn't want to sit in that temperature all day.

So between 23-26C (73-77F) would be my ideal?

If you remember, I was cycling to work through winter, I think the lowest we hit was -16C (3.2F) - I hated the first 5 minutes, but once over that I felt like a hero (read, 'look at that nutter on his bicycle in this weather!).

Now the question is, why do people choose to live in such inhospitable areas such as the ones you all describe?

catman
That -16 C (3.2 F) would make for an extremely cold bicycle ride! I hope you rode fast, both to get it over with and to generate a bit of heat from exertion.

It's 84 F (about 29 C) right now in my bedroom. The rest of my house is at about 80 F (about 27 C). I could make it colder, but my electric bill would be correspondingly higher, and I have a hypothesis that more difference between indoor/outdoor temperatures tends to make one more likely to get sick. Besides, my house feels wonderfully cool after I've been outdoors!

I agree with your ideal temperature. 77 F (25 C) feels delightfully cool to me.

There aren't many places with a truly 'ideal' temperature year round, are there? I'd rather live in a dry climate with more temprature extremes than a humid climate.

Theory_Execution
29C in your bedroom! I cant imagine there will be much baby making in your town for a while.

It is very uncommon for UK houses to have air conditioning, there is central heating ofcourse (with more opting for underfloor heating) but to bring the temperatures down, even if artificially, the odd desk fan might be used.

How does your computer cope in that sort of heat?

seeker
Been mainly in the 90's in Denver. The weird thing is the precipitation, Denver has been getting an unusual amount of rain and hail.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
seeker wrote:
Been mainly in the 90's in Denver. The weird thing is the precipitation, Denver has been getting an unusual amount of rain and hail.

So that's where it went.... I was wondering where our wet July stuff had got to...

... in addition to having had 55 days of 100+ temps? We've had our Traditional Dry August 4 months early, and 3 months too long...

... meh...

Can you say, Global Climate Change?

Good.

Hypatia
seeker wrote:

I want rain... Cry

catman
I wish DFW could get some rain. It was 107 F yesterday. The yard is fried.

Kowboy
I may have mentioned this earlier, but the weather in Italy in early June was perfect.

We have air conditioning in Michigan, but only use it on the hottest of days and nights. We haven't used it yet.

Bob of QF
Hypatia wrote:
seeker wrote:

I want rain... Cry

My idiot fundie-governor (Oklahoma, R) has declared Sunday, "a day to pray for rain".

When it does not, in fact, rain?

She will no doubt lament the lack of faith in this, the reddest of the red states...

... she really is an asshole.
Edited by Bob of QF on 07/17/2011 01:09

Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:

My idiot fundie-governor (Oklahoma, R) has declared Sunday, "a day to pray for rain".

She will no doubt lament the lack of faith in this, the reddest of the red states...

That is quite annoying, and something a governor obviously has no business being a part of in any way, much less initiating it.

So then, how is the rain-praying going in OK? It's a lack of faith if there isn't rain, and gawd did it if there is rain. But either way, there is a gawd, by gawd.

Bob of QF
No rain. Still hotter'n hades. For example, it's 15 minutes till 8 am, and it's already in the rising 80's... headed for 100+ ...

I cannot wait to hear her excuse--if some astute reporter actually had the balls to ask, that is. Few that she lets near do.

You know how False News works; they ignore what they cannot spin, and pretend it never was.

seeker
Bob of QF wrote:

Eventually it will rain and that is when she will claim that prayers were answered. Until then she will just say that God 'works in mysterious ways'.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
Its back to wet and windy here. The temperature dropped so low one of the nights, iv got the sniffles.

Jump to Forum: