View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Theocratic Sect Prays for Real Armageddon
Skeeve
"An end-time army has one common purpose -- to aggressively take ground for the kingdom of God under the authority of Jesus Christ, the Dread Champion," Bentley declares on the website for his ministry school in British Columbia, Canada. "The trumpet is sounding, calling on-fire, revolutionary believers to enlist in Joel's Army. ... Many are now ready to be mobilized to establish and advance God's kingdom on earth."

Full article:
http://www.altern...ory/96945/
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Sinny
Why am I not surprised Pastor Becky Fisher's name and her military style camp came up.

Both Christian and secular critics assailed the makers of Jesus Camp for referring to the camp's extremist, militant Christianity as "evangelical." There is a name, however, that describes Kids on Fire's agenda, if you're familiar with their theology: Joel's Army. Pastor Becky Fischer, who runs the camp, said that a third of the kids at her camp were under 6 years old because they are "more in touch in the supernatural" and proclaimed them to be "soldiers for God's Army." Her camp's blend of end-times militancy and supernaturalism is perfectly emblematic of the Joel's Army movement, whose adherents believe their cause is prophesied in the Old Testament chapter titled "An Army of Locusts."

If this isn't stopped it will make Waco look like kindergarten and you can forget Jonestown's kool aid because this will be a bloodbath when the nutballs think it's time and armageddon is here. ;5eek;

Right now christians are against them but I think if this isn't immediately stopped it could be only a matter of time until more join in with them.

catman
Skeeve: That signature line of yours was never so appropriate as now.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
This makes me physically ill.

I keep hoping the world has not gone totally into the shitter, but the satuff like this comes up and makes me wonder.

It's hard to believe stuff like this is real ,but sadly, it is.

neilmarr
Must take a second read of this now that it's dawned on me that it's not just a sick joke.

Meanwhile, this quote -- a twist on Karl Marx's famous observation -- registered: "Some people snort cocaine, others snort religions," Joel's Army Pastor Roy said while ministering a morning program at Todd Bentley's Lakeland, Fla., revival in late May.

Neil

Doubting Thomas
Many in attendance are church pastors themselves who believe Bentley to be a prophet and don't bat an eye when he tells them he's seen King David and spoken with the Apostle Paul in heaven. "He was looking very Jewish," Bentley notes.

And this doesn't raise red flags with them at all? How can people be so stupid as to follow a nutjob like this? It's kind of like I said, it's not the people who talk to God who bother me, it's the people whom God talks to that scare me.

Bob of QF
I agree completely: people talking TO god? Commonplace, and (mostly) harmless.

God talking TO people/person/thing? That is scary. And people who claim to be the beneficiary of these conversations?

If they are not batshit crazy, then keep your hand firmly on your wallet, and back slowly away....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
This is really going to piss off the Scientologists. They have a totally different take on things.

No matter the cult, some parts of the idiocy never change. Like the glaring discrepancies in what they claim. Like this, for example:

Notorious for endorsing the public execution by stoning of homosexuals and adulterers, the Christian Reconstructionist movement is far better known in secular America than Joel's Army. That's largely because Reconstructionists have made several serious forays into mainstream politics and received a fair amount of negative publicity as a result. Joel's Army followers eschew the political system, believing the path to world domination lies in taking over churches, not election to public office.

And then this:

In a sort of disclaimer, Joyner writes at one point that God's army "will bring love, peace and stability wherever they go." But several of his books narrate with glee what he describes as "a coming civil war within the church." In his 1997 book The Harvest he writes: "Some pastors and leaders who continue to resist this tide of unity will be removed from their place. Some will become so hardened they will become opposers and resist God to the end."

I fail to see what is loving, peaceable and stable about stoning anyone, for any reason. Gee, I could probably be stoned for that. I could only hope for red bud, but something tells me not.

Churches turned into 'military bases', and one 'church' per city? The delusions, and interpretations of the babble vary, but being delusional and having differing interpretations remains the same, regardless of the cult.

But like everyone else here, that these freaks see themselves as the 'last generation' of surviving humans (or however that was worded), and that their 'mandate' to physically impose christian dominion on non-believers, and rule with christianity - with bloodshed if necessary - is enough of a threat IMO for someone to be keeping a close eye on these kooks.

Do we now let what used to be considered 'idle' threats of violence in our schools go by without action? No. Why should we use the excuse that as long as these people 'haven't committed a crime' nothing can be done? Sure, they can't be arrested, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be under some kind of serious scrutiny.

catman
Hypatia wrote:Gee, I could probably be stoned for that. I could only hope for red bud, but something tells me not.
;dancesing;

The rest of it isn't funny at all. Horrifying, actually.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I used to work with a bunch of fundies who were talking about how great the end of the world was and they couldn't wait for it to start. Of course I think they were the "rapture" type who believed they would be taken up to heaven before any of the bad stuff begins.

I just found it bizarre that they not only worshipped a god who would make such terrible things happen as never seen before on earth, but they were even looking forward to the complete & total destruction of the world.

catman
Doubting Thomas wrote:I just found it bizarre that they not only worshipped a god who would make such terrible things happen as never seen before on earth, but they were even looking forward to the complete & total destruction of the world.
It's the ultimate, "Told you so!" A long way from "God is love", isn't it? I visualize that god as something like the Peter Cushing character in Star Wars, who said, "Fear will keep the outer worlds in line". The Judeo-Christian God rules his subjects with fear, not love.
Edited by catman on 09/03/2008 16:14

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
... The Judeo-Christian God rules his subjects with fear, not love.

Been sayin' that for years. Every time some fundiot posts "god is love", actually.

But then, I LIKE a good argument! Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: