View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Secular Activism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Judge orders Arkansas transit system to allow atheist ads on buses
Skeeve
A federal judge has ruled in favor of an atheist group that sued the Central Arkansas Transit System for being allowed to run ads on city buses.
In a hearing on Thursday, U.S. District Judge Susan Webber Wright instructed the Central Arkansas Transit System, an agency governed by local government appointees, to accept more than $5,000 worth of ads from the Central Arkansas Coalition of Reason.

Read more at All Headline News

Hypatia
Well, they addressed the discrimination in one way, but IMO, to impose the deposit kind of cancels it out and perpetuates the discrimination. So xtian ads on the buses may not up the chances of vandalism, but dealing with those who do the vandalizing, and making them pay, is the correct way to deal with that. Or they could charge everyone a small, non-refundable deposit and use the funds for things like vandalism.

Idiots.

Skeeve
I thought it was hilarious that they expected christian vandalism.

And I agree, anyone caught should be liable for repairs, not the CACR.

Bob of QF
Yet another example of religious bigotry by the majority-religion.

And yes, that vandalism is >>expected<< says a great deal.

Nothing good, either.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Bob: You're right that it "says a great deal" that religious vandalism was expected. It demonstrates the great hollowness at the centre of it all, doesn't it? At least that's the way I see it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Photon
From the article:
CATA, which supports a daily ridership of nearly 9,000....

All this over a daily ridership of under 10,000? Hell, with the deposit they could mail everyone some pretty slick flyers directly, and have money left over for pizza at the end. Now, it is Arkansas, but that number seems ridiculously low.

Calgary has a daily ridership of some 250,000 in a city of 1 million. Can it be possible that the Little Rock Metro area which serves about 70% of the people in comparison to Calgary only has about 3% of the ridership? Something is wrong with that.

Bob of QF
US culture-- many people would literally rather have their electricity cut off, than do without a car of their own ...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: