View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Secular Activism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheists target clergy housing tax break
Skeeve
Looks like the FFRF is taking on something I've been against for years.

A long-standing tax break for clergy and other “ministers of the gospel” is facing the newest in a string of challenges in federal court.

The Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation filed suit on Sept. 13 to challenge the constitutionality of tax deductions that clergy are allowed to claim on their housing expenses.

The tax break, called “a parish exemption,” allows clergy to deduct income that is designated as a housing allowance, including rental payments and mortgage interest. Such allowances are a common way for religious congregations to boost the value of modest clergy salaries.

From http://www.washin...story.html

I'm afraid, like the 'In God We Trust' lawsuits, this will fail as well. Sad
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
My aunt owned a house, a duplex really, in Berkeley that shared a boundary with the Pacific School of Religion. They had hounded her about selling it for years and when she had gotten older decided to. The last time I checked the house was still the same as it was, except now Berkeley has lost a minimum of $5,000 to $10,000 in property tax. Not to mention what you said about housing allowances to the feds.

In case anyone cares there has also been a long standing feud between the University and the City of Berkeley about the University taking lands through eminent domain and removing them from the tax rolls. The University has toned that down in the last few years but as a consequence the campus has become terribly crowded.

Jump to Forum: