View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Medicine
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How I spent 36 hours
JohnH
This post may belong elsewhere feel free to move.

Tuesday actually early Wednesday morning when going to bed I noticed there was blood in both my stool and my urine, upps. I hauled my ass to the emergency room and quickly was admitted. What had happened is I had gotten sloppy around use of my rat poison (check it out that is what warfarin is) blood thinner and now it was so thin it could barely coagulate. I was prescribed this because of a clot in my right leg. Well the fact that I am writing proves I lived through it, and I did get some observations.

The good and the bad

The first doctor I saw was very beautiful. I saw her about as long as it takes for a nurse to place the start of an IV and her to tell me to roll over on my side so she could stick her finger up my ass for a stool sample, she did not even say thank you when she walked away.

When getting an IV of plasma (B+, my type) I started getting very itchy. When the nurse came back to check on me I asked what are the symptoms of allergy to plasma and she rattled off a few things the last of which was being itchy. I told her my situation and they stopped. Why did I not find that out 40 years ago, it probably would have prevented me from having to join the reserves to avoid Vietnam.

Not being able to sleep last night (I might ask who can ever sleep in hospitals but like airplanes some must be able to) I started realizing that hospitals are much like prisons. They put you in solitary confinement, albeit with much nicer furnishings. You cannot leave the building because they give you a weird uniform that you could not go out in public in. They make sure you are sleep deprived by interrupting you all night. They torture by using needles and other probes sometimes to the most sensitive body parts. They tell you what to do at will and do it with a smile knowing who is in control. There are a lot of comparisons.

Hospitals are as duplicitous as other employers. It turns out this hospital was the subject of a one day work stoppage today, although it may be longer. I was waiting out back for a cab near the emergency entrance when a small bus brought in scab (replacement if you like) workers from a hotel. One wonders how much money this cost this hospital and others in the area also being struck, even if it is only one day. Room and board and actual wages plus maybe travel expenses, for hundreds of people. I think they would rather spend the money if they think it will break their current employees. Even if the money spent would cover a significant percentage of their current workers demands. It is the principle if you will.

For what this is worth most of the people who dealt with me today were scabs (one of whom was a small breasted woman I drooled over a little) as one put it to me, we have to live too.
Edited by JohnH on 09/23/2011 10:16

Bob of QF
Glad you made it in one piece.

Pity you didn't get the telephone number of that woman, though...

Wink
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
The first doctor I saw was very beautiful. I saw her about as long as it takes for a nurse to place the start of an IV and her to tell me to roll over on my side so she could stick her finger up my ass for a stool sample, she did not even say thank you when she walked away.

You lucky bastard... I was going to say 'some people pay for that treatment' but then I remembered you are in America, that is exactly what you do do.

seeker
You at least got a pretty girl. The VA doctor who did my prostate exam was not so pretty.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Photon
[url=http://atheiststoday.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1957&pid=23353#post_23353]Theory_Execution wrote:

You lucky bastard... I was going to say 'some people pay for that treatment' but then I remembered you are in America, that is exactly what you do do.

You said do do.

Theory_Execution
Haha, didn't even see that Photon. I wish I could claim it was crafted as such, but id be lying.

Hypatia
JohnH wrote:

This post may belong elsewhere feel free to move.

Tuesday actually early Wednesday morning when going to bed I noticed there was blood in both my stool and my urine, upps. I hauled my ass to the emergency room and quickly was admitted. What had happened is I had gotten sloppy around use of my rat poison (check it out that is what warfarin is) blood thinner and now it was so thin it could barely coagulate. I was prescribed this because of a clot in my right leg. Well the fact that I am writing proves I lived through it, and I did get some observations.

The good and the bad

When getting an IV of plasma (B+, my type) I started getting very itchy. When the nurse came back to check on me I asked what are the symptoms of allergy to plasma and she rattled off a few things the last of which was being itchy. I told her my situation and they stopped. Why did I not find that out 40 years ago, it probably would have prevented me from having to join the reserves to avoid Vietnam.

Not being able to sleep last night (I might ask who can ever sleep in hospitals but like airplanes some must be able to) I started realizing that hospitals are much like prisons. They put you in solitary confinement, albeit with much nicer furnishings. You cannot leave the building because they give you a weird uniform that you could not go out in public in. They make sure you are sleep deprived by interrupting you all night. They torture by using needles and other probes sometimes to the most sensitive body parts. They tell you what to do at will and do it with a smile knowing who is in control. There are a lot of comparisons.

Hospitals are as duplicitous as other employers. It turns out this hospital was the subject of a one day work stoppage today, although it may be longer. I was waiting out back for a cab near the emergency entrance when a small bus brought in scab (replacement if you like) workers from a hotel. One wonders how much money this cost this hospital and others in the area also being struck, even if it is only one day. Room and board and actual wages plus maybe travel expenses, for hundreds of people. I think they would rather spend the money if they think it will break their current employees. Even if the money spent would cover a significant percentage of their current workers demands. It is the principle if you will.

For what this is worth most of the people who dealt with me today were scabs (one of whom was a small breasted woman I drooled over a little) as one put it to me, we have to live too.

That's a tough way to discover an allergy and that you need to have your warfarin levels adjusted. Hope all is much better now John.

Jump to Forum: