View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The most under-reported story of the year is about to get much bigger
Skeeve
The New York Transit Workers Union (TWU) voted to support the Wall Street Protestors at their meeting last night.

A member of TWU Local 100 told a reporter that they would join the protest Friday at 4PM.

From their site:
The TWU has four main divisions: Railroad; Gaming; Airline; Transit; and Utility, University and Service. The Union has 114 autonomous locals representing over 200,000 members and retirees in 22 states around the country. James C. Little is the current President of the TWU and has been serving in this position for the last three years. Joseph C. Gordon is the Secretary-Treasurer and Harry Lombardo is the Executive Vice President.

Occupy Wall Street has been picking up support from unions in the past few days. Yesterday it was reported that the Teamsters Union declared their support for protestors, and the United Pilots Union had members at the protest in uniform.

Verizon union workers have joined the protestors.

Industrial Workers of the World put a message of support on their website as well.

On behalf of our union, the General Executive Board of the Industrial Workers of the World sends our support and solidarity to the occupation of Wall Street, those determined to hold accountable our oppressors.

This occupation on Wall Street calls into question the very foundation in which the capitalist system is based, and its relentless desire to place profit over and above all else.

When 1% of the ruling class holds the wealth created by the other 99%, it is clear that the watchwords found in our union's preamble, "the working class and the employing class have nothing in common", ring true more than ever.?The IWW does not follow a business union model. We believe that the working class and the employing class have nothing in common and we don't foster illusions to the contrary.

Throughout the world, from Egypt to Greece, from China to Madison, Wisconsin, working class people are starting to rise up. The IWW welcomes this. We see the occupation of Wall Street as another step - no matter how large or small - in this process.

They're going to have to do some serious reporting on this before too long...
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Finally people are getting involved. I just worry that people will allow conservatives to spin their way out of this.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
I'm afraid that it will trickle down all over us.

Skeeve
Add the United Steelworkers

The United Steelworkers, North America’s largest industrial union, announced on Friday that it supported the ongoing “Occupy Wall Street” protest that began in lower Manhattan and has slowly spread to other cities across the United States.

The protesters have pledged to occupy Wall Street until something is done about corporate greed and corporate influence on the U.S. government. They have been camped out in New York’s old Liberty Plaza since September 17.

“The United Steelworkers union stands in solidarity with and strongly supports Occupy Wall Street,” Leo W. Gerard, International President of the United Steelworkers, said in a statement.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Jump to Forum: