View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oklahoma earthquake
Skeeve
I guess I'll start a thread, though as earthquakes go, we don't have very big ones.

But, this was the largest one recorded for Oklahoma. 5.6

Around 2am Saturday morning, there was a small one, which I did didn't notice, mainly because I was asleep. But, from what friends have told me, I don't think I would have noticed it anyway.

Now, Saturday night was a different story. I was laying on the couch watching BBC America, when I thought I heard someone coming up the stairway outside my apartment. At first I thought it was 2 people, then 4, then 6 or more drunk and rowdy folks. Just as, in my mind, they reached the top of the stairs, the entire living room shook so violently, I was physically moved on the couch.

This kinda pissed me off, considering the hour, so I got up and went to the front door to have a few words with the rowdy bunch... especially since they almost shook my living room apart coming up the stairs.

I opened the front door and stepped out on the landing. Nobody to be seen, though I could hear someone talking downstairs somewhere.

It wasn't until the morning and after I logged into Facebook that I realized my "rowdy neighbors" was actually an earthquake. Smile
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
Skeeve wrote:

I guess I'll start a thread, though as earthquakes go, we don't have very big ones.

But, this was the largest one recorded for Oklahoma. 5.6

Around 2am Saturday morning, there was a small one, which I did didn't notice, mainly because I was asleep. But, from what friends have told me, I don't think I would have noticed it anyway.

Now, Saturday night was a different story. I was laying on the couch watching BBC America, when I thought I heard someone coming up the stairway outside my apartment. At first I thought it was 2 people, then 4, then 6 or more drunk and rowdy folks. Just as, in my mind, they reached the top of the stairs, the entire living room shook so violently, I was physically moved on the couch.

This kinda pissed me off, considering the hour, so I got up and went to the front door to have a few words with the rowdy bunch... especially since they almost shook my living room apart coming up the stairs.

I opened the front door and stepped out on the landing. Nobody to be seen, though I could hear someone talking downstairs somewhere.

It wasn't until the morning and after I logged into Facebook that I realized my "rowdy neighbors" was actually an earthquake. Smile

Wow, that can be a rude awakening, even if you're just zoned out in front of the tube. Glad you didn't have to tell that quake where to stick it face to face.

Bob of QF
I felt it in Tulsa.

I thought it was a low-flying helicopter-- the living room windows were rattling, just like a low-flying 'copter would do.

I ran outside to see... and realized.. .no motor sounds!

Then I spotted my neighbors across the street, also coming outside, and we all had a laugh, once we realized it was a 'quake.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

seeker
I'm curious. If you thought that these guys managed to shake your entire apartment hard enough to knock you off of your couch did it never occur to you that confronting them might not really be wise?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
I started seeing news accounts of this just after reading the OP and well, whoa. I was surprised at how it looked like just about everything from inside cabinets and cupboards, on the walls, etc., ended up out and off and on the floor inside, and then even more structural damage outside than I'd expected.

Sounds like you might want to include a hard hat along with the batteries and water and first aid items in the emergency box. Wink

Theory_Execution
I have been in one earthquake, but I live in the UK, miles from any fault lines.

What had happened was a mine in Dudley had collapsed at about 3am. Shook me awake.

The funny bit is, everyone with an old roof was out the next day pulling tiles off their roof to claim on theirm house insurance.

catman
Skeeve: I noted yesterday that a big tornado didn't miss Lawton by much. Whew.

Skeeve
Yeah, a little bit to the west. Lots of video of it online too.

Also, about 8:47 last night we had another quake/aftershock roll through town. I think the news reported it as a 4.7 centered at the same location as the big one Saturday.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
How does one living in the "Ring of Fire" say you do not know how well you have it.

1957 Daly City Earthquake only 5.3 but my 5th grade class in San Bruno was lined up to a 3 story concrete wall for our class photo. You have never seen 10 year-olds move so fast.

1989 going home early to watch the Giants/A's world series game and looking down and seeing the pavement move under my feet. I was over a construction barricade and out into the street so fast a worker laughed at me. This mind you a few weeks after I was out of a cast for an achilles tendon rupture.

I regularly visit a friends ranch close to where the second longest fissure occurred in 1906.

I frankly have been lucky, the only damage to family things occurred in 1957, a few things fell off of shelves.

We may not have tornadoes but those of us in the "Ring of Fire" do worry about when the next big one comes.

JDHURF
seeker wrote:

I'm curious. If you thought that these guys managed to shake your entire apartment hard enough to knock you off of your couch did it never occur to you that confronting them might not really be wise?
Lol, that is so true.

I felt the earthquake saturday morning around 2am. My cat took off and I believe made for the underside of the bed. I too first thought that it was my neighbor and almost yelled something when it occurred to me that the entire apartment building was slightly ratting and there was nothing that he could do in his apt to have this effect. There was also a low rumbling. I could picture a big wrecking-ball truck passing by or working outside or some other such giant piece of machinery and went back to what I was doing. A little bit later I saw a post on facebook asking if anyone else had felt the earthquake. Pretty wild stuff. Never expected to experience an earthquake in Oklahoma. I guess there are earthquakes here all the time. They are just too insignificant to notice. There is a fault line that runs under Oklahoma and is supposed to become more active. Yee ha.

seeker
JD - Good to see you. How have things been?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JDHURF
I have been busy to say the least. I love the Santayana quote.

catman
Hey, JDHURF! Good to see a post from you again.

I first saw the Santayana quote as part of a TV history series decades ago (I think it was World At War, still the best WW2 series IMO).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JDHURF
I had always been familiar with the quote. I only learned about Santayana and his philosophy and thus that he was the author of the quote in around 2004.

Jump to Forum: