View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New AtheistsToday Articles by Members
neilmarr
I keep coming across articles I've written posted at other atheist sites. Here's one I re-discovered today at Atheist Endeavour and which I've submitted here. It's about waiting for the rapture. Some former Atheists.com members may have seen it before.

It would be handy to keep this thread up, I think, so that other members can alert us to articles they post themselves and so that we can comment on them. It would also serve to remind members that we do have an articles section on the front page and to encouraqge them to join in.

Cheers. Neil
Edited by catman on 09/04/2008 16:24

Doubting Thomas
Would anyone care if I uploaded an article about how I became atheist? I'm not sure if I still have it, so if not I'm not sure I want to type all that out again.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

RayvenAlandria
By all means, upload it DT. Skeeve even made a forum for those kinds of stories. "Why Atheism".

There's no need to retype things if we already have a good story written. Even if folks here have seen it, new members and lurkers haven't.

Doubting Thomas
I don't have it on my computer. I thought I did, but looks like it only existed on the old atheists.com board.

Neil, here's a page I found about "Brother" R. G. Stair's failed prophecies.

http://www.thenet...ailed.html

Brother Stair is an end-times preacher with a ministry on shortwave and I think AM radio. He bought an old motel for his followers to live in, along with old mobile homes moved out to his "compound." Members of his cult sell everything they own and give him the money, or give him everything they own so he can sell it off and keep the money, thereby keeping them virtual slaves since they have no means to leave on their own. Stair made news a few years ago for being convicted of molesting a 16 year-old girl in his compound.

It is said that after the failed prediction of the end times in 1988, Stair claimed that God changed his mind.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 09/04/2008 12:50

Bob of QF
These evil bastards will say and do anything it seems.

And, they even start believing their own lies-- clearly Stair believed that he could do no wrong, and became a child predator (okay, 16 year old is hardly a child, but still not an adult according to the law).

These pukes are sick, sick, sick.

But. They ARE an excellent example of what happens when you dump reason completely and rely strictly on faith.

Without reason, one can literally believe in anything-- including that anything you do is "ordained by god"..... up to and including murder... (not claiming Stair has committed murder).
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

neilmarr
Thanks for that link, DT. I'll give it a good read-through this morning. Pity about your article going astray. I remember it well. Could you not re-write from the top of your head? Neil

Doubting Thomas
I'll try. I would also like to rewrite the article I wrote about all of Jesus' failed prophecy in the bible about how the end of the world was going to occur in the listeners' lifetimes. If only I still had that one, too.

neilmarr
Maybe MajorBytes still has the Atheists.com articles, DT. He's registered here, so why not PM him on the off chance? Good luck. Neil

PS: If you do find the work or re-write it, get in touch and I'll let you know of other sites that would be happy to carry it. It's a failsafe. Some may already have picked it up as they have some of mine. A Google search is worth while. I found mine by keying in Neil Marr Atheist. you could maybe try the same with whatever byline you used. 'Neil

Doubting Thomas
I could just type it out again when I get time. Getting time would be the hard part.

Doubting Thomas
I just uploaded an article on Jesus' failed prophecy in the bible, so hopefully it'll be approved soon.

Skeeve
Does six minutes qualify as soon? ;tongue;
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
Many thanks for an excellent read, DT.

Like all end-of-the-world cults, of course, Christianity invents many ingenious ways around its failed prophecies.

My favourite is 'The Legend of the Wandering Jew'. In this particular fairy tale, a Jew who was present at the time Christ allegedly made his predictions, is condemned to wander the earth, immortal until his saviour's return, so that when Jesus does eventually put in an appearance, it will be (technically) within the generation to which he preached.

This, of course, is merely tradition. But the pseudoscholarship of theology is full of such extravagant putty for filling gaping holes, inaccuracies and contradictions in the bible.

Best wishes. Neil

catman
"[E]xtravagant putty" is a very nice way of putting it, neilmarr! What a load of old lumber that is. That is Christianity "getting off on a technicality".
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I just finished typing an article about how I went from Catholic to atheist and uploaded it. I think this article is probably much better than the original that went down with the atheists.com ship.

Doubting Thomas
I posted two more articles lately, one is the classic "Kissing Hank's Ass" and the other is 20 Common Misconceptions About Atheism.

neilmarr
Looking forward to those, DT. Thanks. Neil

derF
I think I have a bunch of articles I typed up a various times on articleated.com that may be of interest to some of you. Let me see if I can supply ya'all with some links to them sometime this weekend.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

derF
I think I have a bunch of articles I typed up at various times on articleated.com that may be of interest to some of you. Let me see if I can supply ya'all with some links to them sometime this weekend.

Edited. Mandatory.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Skeeve
Check out Kowboy's article on his trip to KY creationist museum.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Sinny
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I'll try. I would also like to rewrite the article I wrote about all of Jesus' failed prophecy in the bible about how the end of the world was going to occur in the listeners' lifetimes. If only I still had that one, too.

I haven't read all posts here yet but had to stop for this one. I remember that one and the other one too DT. I also remember, well partly remember, Derf brought up a good question, I think it was Derf. What were the predictions in relation to not only that persons lifetime but what exactly was happening in that time in news. Like today we know they still believe in the bible prophecy but what do they attribute it to today in our news. Like how they keep an eye on the Middle East. Stem Cell research/cloning is sometimes considered to be prophesied. I'm talking about times from the 1800's not going back to early christians. When Derf asked that I though it quite interesting to think what exactly set them off in their time. My Mother's Grandmother thought it was the end times when the depression came and believed the antichrist was coming to claim to save everybody. But today they don't just go by the US they check all of what they believe to be signs happening globally.

Jump to Forum: