View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
[UPDATED]Kowboy's Kicked Out of College
Theory_Execution
That does strike a parallel with Kowboy's case - the university bit that is.

All the other stuff about vomiting in the apartment block, and name changes adds a whole other dimension.

seeker
The problem is that someone with the kind of limited contact that a professor or classmate has would have no way to tell just how severe a person's off campus behavior might or might not be. This guy sounds like he had some extreme issues, both medical and mental.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
Reminds me a little of the film Seven.

A guy who is so self righteous and disgusted with the world he would get physically sick when he went out to see it.

Cynic
In this case, this is more likely a guy whose anti-psychotic medication was causing pancreatic inflammation.

Kowboy
Cynic wrote:

Would it be dramatic of me to suggest that the following article could relate topically with the original post?

http://www.pittsb...85922.html

Cynic:

Yes, it would. Many religious folks like to say that because Hitler, Stalin and Mao were atheists, that means atheism causes one to become a mass murderer. Unfortunately, Hitler, Stalin and Mao all had moustaches. Do moustaches cause one to mass murder?

You've found a suspended college student who went on a shooting rampage. I am a Michigan concealed pistol licensee who has been suspended from college. Neither of us has a moustache, but only one has randomly shot people.

I'm talking out my ass here...

Far be it for me to disagree.

Cynic
Did you actually read what I wrote, or did you just start typing?

seeker
Kowboy - The parallel is there nonetheless.

The point is that the warning signs before an incident like the one under question are often very similar to the kinds of acts you committed. The problem is you can never be sure if a person if really going to go off the rails and waiting to act can be fatal.

The easiest thing in the world to do is claim that you would never have taken it farther but unfortunately people often do.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Kowboy
Here's the latest press release from FIRE:

http://thefire.or...14285.html

seeker
Give it up Joe, you are just embarrassing yourself. The fact that you and FIRE are still trying to pretend that this is all about your daybook is just a flat out lie that nobody is falling for anymore.

Skeeve
*UPDATE*

Student Suspended Over ‘Hot For Teacher’ Essay Sues Oakland University

A 57-year-old man suspended from Oakland University for writing about his attraction to teachers has filed a lawsuit seeking more than $2 million and four credits for the class.

Joseph Corlett says his First Amendment rights were violated by university officials. The school suspended him for three semesters last year after saying he violated a policy against intimidating people on campus. He said he was also warned that he’d be arrested for criminal trespass if he entered the campus during his suspension.

Corlett, a then 56-year-old student enrolled in an advanced critical writing class, titled his journal entries “Hot For Teacher,” after a song by the rock band Van Halen, as part of assignment on diary-style composition.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Some people just never learn.

JohnH
I reread most of the original thread but frankly got bored after a bit.

This was/is a weird one. Kowboy did to an extent get screwed. Kowboy did also misbehave. He misbehaved in a fashion that should have had negative consequences. I will readily agree with that. I also believe that his punishment was probably a little too harsh.

The above said with the understanding that I was not there and Kowboy's behavior may have been such that he deserved even greater punishment.

But trying to milk it for a $2,000,000 prize strikes one as working the system for a way to live out ones life in luxury.

Kowboy was often an advocate for personal freedoms. Is he also an advocate for using the systems of government for personal gain. This is a legitimate question. A lawsuit, even the the treat thereof, often gains one some money deserved or not.

Theory_Execution
I think it was not a clear cut case, and possibly, due to that, his court case could win.

I suspect they (The University) looked for any reason to get rid of him, simply because he was creepy.

seeker
I think there is a much bigger issue at play here. FIRE is using this case to undermine Oakland University as a part of a larger assault on what they view as 'liberal education' (I mean that in the poli8tical sense). They are a right-wing organization dedicated to promoting conservative values.

I don't think that there is anything about this case that isn't pretty clear cut. Joe's acts were indefensible.

Skeeve
UPDATE:

College Student Who Wrote Lusty Essay About Teacher Loses Free Speech Lawsuit

A Michigan college student who was suspended for writing an essay called "Hot For Teacher" had no First Amendment right to express his sexual attraction to his creative writing professor, a federal judge ruled.

The lawsuit filed by the student, Joseph Corlett, 57, against Oakland University was dismissed by U.S. District Judge Patrick Duggan on Tuesday.

Duggan said Corlett's "expressions of lust" for his professor, Pamela Mitzelfeld, and "descriptions of her physical appearance are not entitled under First Amendment protection."

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Is anyone who has read this thread really surprised?

JohnH
As long as this has been resurrected (odd how often biblical terms enter into even atheist discussions) I have a personal story to offer.

I found my 8th grade teacher most attractive, but I think that was simply a schoolboy crush.

In Chem 1B the lab TA there was a whole different story. I wanted to hit on her so bad I could taste it. I was so very much afraid of the age difference, 3-4 years seems huge when you are 18, adding the difference in power situation, I resisted. Damn, 50 years later I still wish I had done it.

Hypatia
seeker wrote:

Is anyone who has read this thread really surprised?

Not I.

Just because someone is entitled to a freedom, in this case freedom of speech, doesn't mean they couldn't choose to exercise common sense and decency anyway. I don't care for people behaving inappropriately and then refusing to accept responsibility just because they think they can be or should be protected by some right we all possess. Never once, in anything I've read regarding this situation, has it appeared to me that Kowboy even once attempted to put himself in the shoes of his female instructors. Somehow though, I don't think that even if he had, he would have noticed his standing in them rendered the shoes entirely ill-fitting.

Hypatia
JohnH wrote:

As long as this has been resurrected (odd how often biblical terms enter into even atheist discussions) I have a personal story to offer.

I found my 8th grade teacher most attractive, but I think that was simply a schoolboy crush.

In Chem 1B the lab TA there was a whole different story. I wanted to hit on her so bad I could taste it. I was so very much afraid of the age difference, 3-4 years seems huge when you are 18, adding the difference in power situation, I resisted. Damn, 50 years later I still wish I had done it.

I had to smile at your regret, John.

I was an extremely poor student, academically speaking. Looking back, I truly think I must have had a learning disability or challenge of some kind. Well, I know for a fact I had severe learning challenges. So I struggled and suffered in school to the point of anxiety. I had a very difficult time focusing and paying attention, and retaining information. Math and science were my worst subjects and caused extreme anxiety for me. It didn't help at all when in one of my middle school years my science teacher was so gorgeous and attractive, and to my recollection the only thing I actually did in that class was stare at him. Pathetic, I know. And I was crushed that he was married! Oh, how I have to laugh at myself for that now.

Jump to Forum: