View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Clergy Project
Hypatia
The Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science have teamed to create/sponsor The Clergy Project, a special fund to help ministers and priests who are no longer believers and wish to leave the pulpit. The website also serves as a safe house for those leaving the ministry.

http://clergyproj...

The Clergy Project

The Clergy Project is a confidential online community for active and former clergy who do not hold supernatural beliefs. The Clergy Project launched on March 21st, 2011.

Currently, the community's 230 plus members use it to network and discuss what it's like being an unbelieving leader in a religious community. The Clergy Projectís goal is to support members as they move beyond faith. Members freely discuss issues related to their transition from believer to unbeliever including:

Wrestling with intellectual, ethical, philosophical and theological issues
Coping with cognitive dissonance
Addressing feelings of being stuck and fearing the future
Looking for new careers
Telling their families
Sharing useful resources
Living as a nonbeliever with religious spouses and family
Using humor to soften the pain
Finding a way out of the ministry
Adjusting to life after the ministry

http://ffrf.org/n...ng-clergy/

seeker
A halfway house for ex-believers? I wonder if they have a twelve step program.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
I would reckon they do Seeker! After climbing those 12 steps, it is best to climb the 12 back down, getting your head out of the clouds and feet firmly on the ground.

Hypatia
seeker wrote:

A halfway house for ex-believers? I wonder if they have a twelve step program.

lol.

We've all read or heard about people who started out in a career of religion as believers and then have somewhere along the way come to find they no longer do believe, and it being a job for them and with the way the job market has been (or more so, not been), changing jobs may not be a ready option. And for someone like this, they may not have come out of the closet to anyone and thus have very little, if any, support. So I do like that there is support and other types of possible support available for someone who may need it.

As skeptics we're probably all immediately seeing the ways a program like this could be abused and taken advantage of by those seeking to leave the clergy for other, shall we say unsavory, reasons. But FFRF has an excellent track record with being fiscally responsible, and they and Dawkins are all pretty tuned in to religion being used as a ruse for ulterior motives, so I would think they've thought through how to weed those out?

Jump to Forum: