View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
For the present I will not stand
JohnH
I am a sports fan.

I went to the Giants/A's game today. At the 7th inning stretch the announcer asked that we all stand and remove our hats for "god bless america" a common event since 9-11. I muttered that I would do neither and remained seated with my IWW hat firmly in place.

I was late to the game (missing the top of the first) so I could not sit during the "national anthem" but the next time I attend a sporting event I will.

As long as my country engages in aggressive and unnecessary wars I will display my opinion by remaining seated during the national anthem and any other patriotic song.

I love my country. I love my place. I do not approve of all of the actions my country has made in my name.

All of my adult life, born in 1946, my country has engaged in aggressive war. I hate this and I do not approve of it.

I am obligated to demonstrate this disapproval.

cheshiredragon
My brothers and I did the same thing throughout our school years. We never stood for the pledge and we are/were not required too. I even defaced a 5$ bill on Friday. I did it because I was bored and I wanted t make a funny and I sure did/ Most everyone I showed it to laughed their ass off.
That's right, I said it...

seeker
Look at the history of any country and you will find atrocity.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: