View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Scientology on Trial
neilmarr
The Chuurch of Scientology in France (which has, quite properly, only sect status) is to be put on trial for financial fraud and falsely representing itself as a pharmacy.

I think this is the first time the 'church' itself has been taken to task legally rather than merely individual members.

Here's today's story from The Guardian (UK): http://www.guardi...e.religion

Cheers. Neil
Edited by catman on 09/09/2008 01:49

catman
I made the link clickable, Neil. I wonder what was in those 'purification packs'? I hope the 'church' is found guilty, and that every other country where that mind-virus has spread does the same.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
The Purification Pack is a course of super-doses of certain vitamins in pill form to flush the body of toxins during a ritual called 'Purification Rundown' (or 'Purif' should you be with the in crowd and are hip with the vocabulary).

Apart from its high (fluctuating) cost, the Purification Pack's most outstanding quality is that it doesn't work.

In fact, the vitamin dosage is so high that it can, it has been reported, cause very nasty side effects like liver damage, hair loss, brain swelling, nausea, fatal heart and respiratory failure, peptic ulcers, and skin rashes.

Neil

Skeeve
It's good to see them in court again. It's not a religion, it's not a cult. It was created as a joke on a bet. Once it showed a profit, it was turned into a corporation. It's only purpose is to fleece the ignorant under the guise of religion.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
I was watching a youtube video just last night about this dangerous cult. One of their celebrity members left the cult and has a very lengthy interview. (2 hours long)

http://www.youtub...re=related

I plan to watch more when I have time.

Hypatia
Glad to see this happening. Too bad the US doesn't see this cult in this same legal light.

JDHURF
neilmarr wrote:
The Purification Pack is a course of super-doses of certain vitamins in pill form to flush the body of toxins during a ritual called 'Purification Rundown' (or 'Purif' should you be with the in crowd and are hip with the vocabulary).

Apart from its high (fluctuating) cost, the Purification Pack's most outstanding quality is that it doesn't work.

In fact, the vitamin dosage is so high that it can, it has been reported, cause very nasty side effects like liver damage, hair loss, brain swelling, nausea, fatal heart and respiratory failure, peptic ulcers, and skin rashes.

Neil

The more horrifying aspect of the so-called "purification rundown," elsewhere under Scientology’s many umbrellas known as the “New Life Detoxification Program” - of which I took part in 2003 - is the sauna sessions.
For several weeks - it varies, it depends on when the scientologists who oversee the sauna sessions decide, based upon strict and unintelligible dogmatic gibberish, that the person undergoing the process is finished – people going through the process for several hours a day report to a sauna room, are feed a cocktail of vitamins and minerals as neilmar correctly points out, beginning with Niacin at doses specifically intended to cause skin irritation, red-flushing and they claimed a flushing of the blood system; this process was pushed even further along by running on a treadmill for a half-hour before getting into the sweltering heat with your heart already pounding.
This leads me to the fact that this program can easily lead in many delicate circumstances to serious health risk and even death. While I went through the process myself an older gentleman also undergoing the process had a heart attack in a sauna a few down from the one I and several other people were sweating in – there are no medical doctors or professionals or nurses overseeing any of this, again, only Scientologists versed in the dogmatic jargon of the huckster and hoaxer Lafayette Ronald Hubbard – was taken to the hospital and was not to return while I was still there; I have no idea what eventually happened to him, whether he even survived or not.
You are also to eat plenty of salt and potassium pills, drink lots of water and eat carrots and celery which are in big bowls by the sauna rooms. At night, after everyone has already been in the saunas for the morning and early afternoon and were then free to go, everyone must report back to the sauna rooms to drink the magical Scientology concoction referred to affectionately by Scientologists as “calmag”: a combination of calcium and magnesium that the Scientologists clandestinely cook up in the kitchen using vinegar among other ingredients (most of the people working in the kitchen have come directly from prison, usually the Criminon program).
There are so many different aspects to Scientology – the subject is just so vast – that to cover it all in some detailed fashion would require the writing of a book, possibly with multi-volumes.
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

neilmarr
Thanks for that first-hand insight, JD. Quite scary.

***It's good to see them in court again***

I think you'll find, Skeeve, that this is the first time the 'church' has faced charges. In the past, only individual members have been charged with various offences. What makes this case so important is that the cult itself is on trial.

Cheers. Neil

seeker
I thought they had been put on trial in Germany.

Sinny
How are they getting away with this for so long?

JD I hope if you ever come across a program like that you immediately call the local and State Health Department on them. Then call the State Department of Community Affiars to have the check the place out for violations.

I'm not sure about their having to have Doctors on the premises, though I think they should be obligated to, since they didn't use pharmaceutical drugs. I still think that should be checked into since usng various holistic medications combined with various vitamins and supplements can be lethal when not mixed properly or if the doses are too high/frequent.

Did they check to ensure all participants of this farce of a program, not to mention dangerous, were/are eligible? Did they have you/all participants complete a medical questionnaire? Require a copy of all medical files?

It sounds a little like they are using the guidelines of a health spa (sauna, treadmill) except that they make requirement for the program instead of allowing the participants to choose how frequently/which steps they participate in and they make it a rule, as part of the program, that requires all of it be completed along with ingesting substances that could be harmful to an individual depending on their health conditions. I hope nobody signed anything stating that Scientology or L Ron Hubbard isn't responsible (liable).

*edit*
removed two of the triple posts. sorry that the lag got you Sinny:sighw:
Edited by Skeeve on 09/10/2008 22:04

Jump to Forum: