View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Teens need to stop seducing priests
Skeeve
This sounds just like another thread we have around here.

Father Benedict Groeschel said:
"People have this picture in their minds of a person planning to — a psychopath," Groeschel said. "But that’s not the case. Suppose you have a man having a nervous breakdown, and a youngster comes after him. A lot of the cases, the youngster — 14, 16, 18 — is the seducer."

Pressed for clarification, the New York State-based religious leader explained that kids looking for father figures might be drawn to priests to fill an emotional hole in their lives.

Furthermore, Groeschel expressed a belief that most of these "relationships" are heterosexual in nature, and that historically sexual relationships between men and boys have not been thought of as crimes.
Read full HuffPo article

How do they still have a church?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
I suspect that there is a tiny grain of truth in the priests comments. I suspect that some victims of preistly sex actually do encourage it, not many but a few. Of course if one is truly a person of principle one should avoid such behavior, but dealing with that is not in the ken of the religious. They simply go to confession and are absolved.

Religion is based on a lie to begin with. The fact that many religious people are venal can be understood simply. They live a lie and they will as a consequence be not moral. Simple and direct and absent counter claims not expected here, understood.

Theory_Execution
It sickens me that people still call themselves Catholics after what has been exposed over the last ten years.

As we have discussed before, if this had been a childrens charity, or a business of some sort, they would have been shut down and purpetrators and high ranking leaders/management would be facing jail time.

As it is, the believers go for the one rogue element argument and stick with the church.

seeker
Is this really any different from rapists who claim that their victims 'wanted it' because they dressed or acted provocatively?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
It has a hint of that argument, but given the high numbers of the events, we cant eliminate the likelihood that at some point, one child did initiate a sexual relationship.

That does not however change the fact that it is an abuse of power for the priest to respond to it, and in most countries is illegal.

Hypatia
Skeeve wrote:

This sounds just like another thread we have around here.

Father Benedict Groeschel said:
"People have this picture in their minds of a person planning to — a psychopath," Groeschel said. "But that’s not the case. Suppose you have a man having a nervous breakdown, and a youngster comes after him. A lot of the cases, the youngster — 14, 16, 18 — is the seducer."

Pressed for clarification, the New York State-based religious leader explained that kids looking for father figures might be drawn to priests to fill an emotional hole in their lives.

Furthermore, Groeschel expressed a belief that most of these "relationships" are heterosexual in nature, and that historically sexual relationships between men and boys have not been thought of as crimes.
Read full HuffPo article

How do they still have a church?

In one breath Groeschel accuses the child of being the 'seducer', in 'a lot of the cases'. Then in the next breath he decides these instances are relationships. So I suppose then what began as seduction by children of vulnerable priests "grew" into relationships that the priests just never had any power to end. Those poor, poor, misunderstood men. They must live in hell on earth, with all the nervous breakdowns and emotional holes in their lives, and it isn't their fault god created seductive children to go after them when they're weak and god is busy.

Certainly there are children who, for whatever reasons, get way off coarse at a very early age - getting in trouble with their parents, at school, with the law, and even those who learn to use their sexual wiles way too early in entirely inappropriate ways, and that can include purposely looking sexy for and attracting the attention of adults, even in religious settings. I don't know for sure, but I really don't think that happens all that much with young children, though in my opinion teens are using their sexuality in extremely inappropriate ways, and earlier than ever, so I can picture it happening more with older kids. Anyway, when a kid does behave in a sexual manner toward an adult, or any kind of inappropriate sexual behavior for their age, it's the responsibility of adults to make sure it stops where it begins. No excuses. That is what is currently acceptable in our society, and any priest or adult knows it. To put the responsibility on a child by even mentioning that the child may be looking for a fatherly figure, or because children have ever been the seducer, or because the adult is having emotional or personal difficulties is to merely make excuses for acts that cannot be excused.

Theory_Execution
in my opinion teens are using their sexuality in extremely inappropriate ways, and earlier than ever

I have met very few teenagers that have made their own clothes. Manufacturers do have something to answer for here, as do the shops that stock them. For instance, padded bras for pre-teens, why?

But the papers are at it too. The Sun (Rupert Murdock owned) in the UK run 'shop a paedo' crusades, and then on page 3, they flaunt 16 year old tits.

It is an odd world we live in.

Jump to Forum: