View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Beyonce - the simple singing stuff
Theory_Execution
I caught the first video on a random Youtube walk, and I know respect Beyonce.

So a little more looking, and I found this second one.

I hate Pop for what it seems to do to excellent talent, but then again, I would likely not hear this without them...

Skeeve
She does have a beautiful voice.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
More than just a great voice, she is extremely skilled. She is a great example of the kind of artist that could do any kind of music she wants. Unfortunately the amount of money to be made in pop music is so great that you probably will never hear her venture out of that territory.

What I find truly comical is that so much of pop music is horribly overwritten and overproduced to the extent that you need a great singer to make it sound right.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
....you need a great singer to make it sound right.

I disagree, you see a lot of 'artists' come and go, because the radio and TV have conspired to create 'the next best thing' and with the voice fixing software around they can pass for vocally gifted for just long enough that you make some bucks.

One Direction are an example of this, they are unable to sing live, so they mimed along at the olympics, where earlier and older bands went with the singing.

I would like to hear her sing some blues.

seeker
TE - That is part of my point though, a lot of otherwise decent singers are stuck with these ridiculous songs that have to be oversung. They end up relying on auto tune and other effects because the songs suck. The result is that the music becomes more reliant on technology than on artistry. It creates a need for virtuosity that most singers simply don't have so it invites 'cheating' and ends up cheapening the singers who really are capable of being 'that good'.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
I can see your point, but I dont think it is the voice the music industry look at now.

It is the general appearance, are they attractive, young and can we dress them up how we want them, slap them on the bottom and send them out into the world.

The music we will make back in the lab, pieced together from 3s snippets of old classics, with the Smurfs doing backing vocals and brought to life with a lightening strike.

seeker
I agree with that TE, the music industry now is more about image and dancing. People watch music these days rather than listening to it.

Jump to Forum: