View Thread

Print Thread
Article
Hypatia
An article some here may find of interest:

[url]http://www.salon.com/2014/06/05/forget_christopher_hitchens_atheism_in_america_is_undergoing_a_radical_change_partner/[/url]

[quote]Jamila Bey, the communications director of the Secular Student Alliance, summed up the concerns of many in a recent interview:

Skeeve
[quote]
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Hi all, trust everyone has been well.

Unfortunately there are too many people who just don't care about things like racism, income inequality etc. until it affects them. Usually, by the time it affects them it is too late.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
Hey guys! Hope you're both well and good.

There is definitely confirmation here that atheists and other nonbelievers are no different than anyone else; they can be just as apathetic, complacent, indifferent and callous as the next person, and many are.

There was a time when I did have hopes that humanists and rationalists and non-theists were going to make a noticeable impact regarding social issues, and namely on the equality front. But alas, I've found myself disappointed the reality is stark in contrast.

seeker
Yeah, turns out we are just as self-absorbed as other people.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: