View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
 Print Thread
9/11 in 2014
dennisdm
Last month marked one of the most tragic days in the US. Thousands of innocent people falling or trapped in two burning buildings clinging to their lives. As i watch this on History channel I cant help but think how many of them were praying for god to help them in their time of need as their recent future looked grim. Next while the dust is still clearing we are pouring our soldiers into afganistan to chase down a man in a dress whom is hopping from the mountains and surrounding citys playing a seemed to be cat and mouse game. My point is...if there was a time for us athiest to say alot with out speaking a word then that was one of our primal times. I have no doubt alot of them citizens that lost their lives just going to work everyday were devoted christians, catholics, or whatever their choice of religion was. If their god was present and listening then why would he let his followers suffer the agganizing horror that they did and why whouldnt he/she have stopped the planes from hitting them in the first place? They say a person in their last few moments tells their truths and an athiest becomes a believer...but what happens if ur already a believer and find that nothing happens in ur most dreadful time of need?

Skeeve
Realization that they were wrong...?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
I cringe when I think about using moments like those to proselytize. We hate it when Christians take advantage of people at their lowest points. That is not a tactic atheists should adopt.

Yes, those events were caused by religious extremists. The point is valid but you cannot use emotional appeals to bring about rational decisions.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: