View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Evangelist says puberty = age of consent
Doubting Thomas
This guy has got to be insane.

http://www.cnn.co...newssearch

He kept his wife's dead body around for 6 months while his church prayed for her to be resurrected... I wonder what excuse they came up with when she didn't return to life? And how nuts do you have to be to know that your religious leader is keeping his dead wife around and praying for her to come back alive? I mean, at what point do you stop & say, "OK, this is getting just plain weird & nutty, I have to go now."
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
I don't have much to add to your assessment, except that his insanity has made him a lot of money.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
Here is the freak in his own words.

"The bible says..."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/3G-K5elgz8g&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
Even more disturbing, DT, was the recent case of a dying child being prayed for instead of being offered medical treatment for a perfectly treatable condition. Long after the child was dead and decomposing (New Jersey earlier this year, if I recall), the tit heads were still praying. Atheists.com members will remember this terrible story well. Neil

Doubting Thomas
Skeeve wrote:
Here is the freak in his own words.

"The bible says..."

What a nutjob. He claims it's OK to marry a 10 year old girl because there's a story in the bible about someone doing just that. So I guess this guy sacrifices animals on a regular basis as called for in Leviticus? Or does he stone to death rebellious children?

This is obviously just another case of someone justifying abberant behavior because he found a reference to it in the bible. But again, how stupid does a person have to be to follow someone like this? When I was religious, if a priest had said something like this, I'd have thought he was nuts. And if the church condoned it, I'd have left the church. I guess it all matters on his "church" being a personality cult where the followers worship the leader as much as or more than anything else.

neilmarr
It simply amazes me how such amateur interwiers can be allowed to muddle their way through on US TV. That woman was absolute tripe. Maybe she has a diploma from journlism school or some such worthless scrap of paper.

Given an experienced, professional interviewer -- properly in charge of the proceedings -- this obscene excuse for a human being would have effectively shot himself in the balls without the whole thing being dignified by even the slightest argument on the part of the host.

Give any decent reporter a mike or a note pad and five minutes with this piece of trash and he would dig his own grave without any apparent help.

You don't fight biblical dogma without the slightest idea of what that ridiculous dogma is, which is what this excuse for a TV interviewer attempted -- and miserably failed -- to do.

She effectively left the guy sounding almost reasonable by Bronze Age biblical standards.

'Law's a matter of ... er ... opinion, like, y'know, Martha. The guy's got a right to his views, eh? Listen what he said. Says so in the bible. That girl who married ... er ... y'know waddamsayin ... and God said, like, OK. And he's right 'bout Catholics bein' pedophiles an' all. That reporter don't have no answer for that, eh? An' God's lawbeats the laws o' Kansas, no? Now pass the peas and check for coons under the trailer. I gotta eat up an' go babysit for Dale."

Neil
Edited by neilmarr on 09/24/2008 11:20

Theory_Execution
That is absolutely crazy; Fox news anchor " Lets get both sides of the story." ahahahaahahaH.

Im currently arguing with a christian over on another site that holding the Bible above all other books allows people to fall back on a Creator God as the defense for their flights of fancy and perversions.

neilmarr
Chances are, TE, that he doesn't know the bible from the 18th Century writings of Jean-Paul le Pluke. You're on a hiding to nothing with these fracrtionally-educated nincompoops who judge every book by its cover story and pulpit alibi. Neil

Theory_Execution
I tried to explain how there is no expertise in the subject of theology just, as the agreed parts in some areas are undefined and irrational. Ill get back to you on this one lol.

Its a good memory game for me, and a chance to test my reasoning faculties.

catman
TE: There is 'expertise' in the field of theology, just as there is 'expertise' in Greel mythology, but that doesn't make any of it true.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Photon
The fact that a +3 vorpal sword that is keen will do a lot of damage in the hands of a Lvl 18 Barbarian while enraged doesn't mean any of those things actually exist.

Some people just have problems distinguishing reality from fantasy when religion is involved, and often willfully disregard observational reality in deference to their preconceived mythological notions.

Photon
I think I could have done a better job with that interview, and I have no journalistic training. What was she doing? She came off like Bill O'Reilly, when she had the superior position, and she didn't need to embarrass herself like that. What kind of CV do you need to get on Fox News? Also, since the guy was trying to be a biblical literalist, I'm sure some anchor or news pundit at Fox would agree with him.

Theory_Execution
Catman, that was my secondary point, as a general book of literature and as an idea of the social and political turmoil of the times of its creation and editing it is useful, but she was talking about becoming an expert in reading it to better know the real living God.

Bob of QF
Well, I was highly surprised that the Faux Newswoman gave him such a hard time....I mean, after all, isn't Faux News THE channel for right-wing religion? :rolleyes:

I didn't listen to all of it, and I nearly didn't listen to any: when she said initially, "let's hear both sides..." I nearly stopped right there.

both sides?

The guy had a dead body in his house for the purposes of weird religious ritual! He was attempting to raise the dead!

It does not get any more sociopathic than that-- one of the first things humans learned on their road to civilization was ceremonial burial. This was our first recognition that we are all mortal.

He does not deserve to be heard; he does deserve to be locked away, and kept from speaking or being around minors of any sort.

*shudder*
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Sinny
Tony Alamo!! this is him. I remember the junk mail he used to send to my office asking for donations and to come on his website. He was arrested for not paying taxes umpteen times. Oh man I remember what a nut job this guy was. The evangelical woman in my office used to read his garbage and used the office address. She should have been fired for that.

I went to check the asshat out on his website and never once gave my name or address and about 5 days later I get his crap in my mail addressed to the name of my e-mail not my real name. I was like freaked and angry that his site managed to get my address just from looking into the site. Of course he didn't have my real name because I never joined or signed up for anything or even registered, I simply lurked around. Made me real cautious after that. I wondered how many other xtian sites can get people's addresses just from looking in. He's always trying to get convicted, beyond any and all doubt, criminals out of prison just to have them work for him. This SOB is real bad news for anyone. Anyway after I looked into his site when he sent that crap into my office. I informed one of the aides to my employers and he put a quick stop to this asshats sending out that crap to the politicians in our office and I think he was working on removing his site. Apparently he didn't realize it was a political office and the member who did join his site, my evangelical co-worker, worked in a political office. It was a dangerous site for the public I remember that and I am now concerned for the people who are now looking, lurking into his site just to see. This nut job thinks he's getting more member by the growth of people looking into his site and has no idea people are just curious about this nutjob. I wish former cult members would start thinking and get evidence before they leave it sure would help when they are free to stop and hopefully convict the leaders of the crimes the former members reveal. I can't say he's guilty before being proven but I seriously have no doubt about charges being absoltuely true.

catman
Theory_Execution wrote:
Catman, that was my secondary point, as a general book of literature and as an idea of the social and political turmoil of the times of its creation and editing it is useful, but she was talking about becoming an expert in reading it to better know the real living God.

And that was my secondary point! To wit, that it's basically a waste of effort if the idea is that the supernatural stuff has any basis in reality.Wink Sorry if I came off as a bit snarky.

derF
It seems that characters like this fellow can be unearthed with nothing more than a teaspoon and a few moments of dirt throwing, There is little to reveal when digging through all of these erstwhile evangelists. Yet they still manage to find flocks of believers, and entire herds of the mindless, "We'll live forever crowd."
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Some people have the capacity to believe what they want to believe, as if simply by wishing really, really hard, they can keep Tinkerbell from dying. A 'triumph of the will', as it were.

Sinny
Hey what happened to my post. I posted here last night about this nutjob. I know I did. This Tony Alamo used to send junk mail to my previous office. I am fully aware of how dangerous this asshat is. He once got my address and sent junk mail to me asking me to join with him and donate some money. The evangelical woman I worked with sent him donations and gave the office address I then check out his website and never once registered, I only read what was on his site and the SOB got my address. He didn't know my name only because like I said I only looked around yet he managed to get my address. Anyway he sent it addressed to the name of my e-mail. My computer and e-mail had a name. It wasn't my real name but still how the hell did he get that!!??!! it freaked me out. I got better internet security after that.

EDIT: Also I showed the junk mail to one of the people in charge in the office and he looked into this guy. He put a stop to the asshat sending junk mail to the office and had his site temporarily removed. This guy Alamo is really dangerous and does need to be stopped. I wish people who leave compounds like this one would get real proof of what they say happened to make it easier to stop them. They just never think to get evidence before they leave. It sucks that way.
Edited by Sinny on 09/25/2008 22:08

Doubting Thomas
Do you think the lady who sent him money might have sent them your home address?

I think the problem is that the people trying to get out of cults like this are too busy trying to get out & don't even think to get evidence of any wrongdoing, unfortunately.

Maybe we should add a new forum called "Black collar crime bureau" or something where we could discuss religious preachers like this who are under investigation or convicted of crimes. The phrase "Black Collar Crime" comes from the newsletter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Jump to Forum: