View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Paul Newman 1925-2008
Skeeve
Just reported on ABC. Paul Newman has died.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Yes, I just noticed that on my start page. A great one has passed. Cool Hand Luke is the one that stays with me. He had quite a social conscience, too.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Perhaps we'll see a new line of embalming fluids or coffins. ;whistle;

derF
Paul Newman was an all around great man. I rank many of his movies as among my favorites. The Hustler, Hud, Harper, Hombre, and many others that were not one word titles that begin with H. The Sting, Butch Cassidy and Sundance, and The Secret War of Harry Frigg come to mind also. But the true worth of the man was his love of life, his sportsmanship and philanthropy. He gave over 200 million dollars to worthwhile charities. Another classy attribute the man had . . . He remained faithful to his beloved wife for 50 years. It was a pleasure to have Mr. Newman as a contemporary. Rest well.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
A nice eulogy, derF. I agree wholeheartedly.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Thank you, Catman!
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

neilmarr
One line of his pretty well sums up Atheist philosophy: "Sometimes, nothin' can be a cool hand."

Cheers. Neil

catman
Right, Neil! I'd forgotten about that one.

Sinny
He did this one scene where he played a cop trying to get to a crazy. He twisted his hat and walked up to the guy like another crazy lunatic. I laughed so hard my side hurt. That was my first introduction to him and I never forgot how much he made me laugh. He was a good actor. I had no idea he gave so much to charities. That's nice to know especially today when so many rich people are far too stingy and greedy.

catman
I didn't know he was so charitable, either. He was indeed a good actor.

BTW, Sinny, you oughta go to your profile page and edit you sig line by adding a ] after the b so the sig will display properly.Wink

Hypatia
I remember Newman best for Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. I saw him in other movies, but that's the one I always seem to think about when I think of him. I always thought he was a great actor.

I had also admired him for his generosity and philanthropy. I believe all, if not most, of the proceeds from his salad dressings and other food products went to charities.

His blue eyes were pretty awesome. My MIL has blue eyes like that. Very striking.

Jump to Forum: