View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Religulous
Doubting Thomas
From what little I've seen of this movie in the ads, it looks pretty interesting. Kind of like a Michael Moore documentary with Bill Maher talking to different people about their religious beliefs. Maher is kind of a smartass at times, so probably will be a good movie.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. For some reason I think it will be a lot like Borat.

Skeeve
I never watch first released movies, but will be making an exception with this one. BTW, Ironman is out on DVD today. Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Cynic
Well, same director as Borat.

seeker
Yeah and I think its going to feature a lot of the same kind of 'getting people to say incredibly stupid things' kind of feel to it.

catman
It's definitely a must-see for me. Bill Maher is a smart-ass at times, but it's refreshing to see someone who isn't a dumb-ass for a change.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
He had some survey done asking what his best, funniest features were. What most people like best about his show and what they found the funniest. I think now that this movie is out that's why he had the survey done. He wanted to find out which type of movie most people would watch. I think his religious jokes and the way he would "smart ass", good description Catman, about religion is what people liked most. I find his funniest jokes are when he's talking about religion then politics. He's not as good at making jokes about religion a Carlin was but still his best.

catman
I actually like Maher's jokes about religion more than I did Carlin's (blessed be his name.)Pfft Carlin seemed so bitter (especially late in his life) that although I agreed with him, the humor quotient wasn't quite as high. Maher is sardonic about almost everything without sounding so bitter. He is the H.L.Mencken of today.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

General-Pryce
Skeeve wrote:
I never watch first released movies, but will be making an exception with this one. BTW, Ironman is out on DVD today. Grin

Not over here it's not. I've still not seen it, or Dark Night OR Indiana Jones!!!!

But I will definately be goind to see Saw V at the end of the month. I love the inteliigence behind the movie, with twists and turns.

catman
I saw Dark Knight a couple of weeks ago. Heath Ledger as The Joker was outstanding.

neilmarr
There's a review of Religulous in today's New York Times: http://movies.nyt...?th&emc=th

Sounds fun, but you shouldn't expect any depth to it.

Cheers. Neil

cheshiredragon
General-Pryce wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

Not over here it's not. I've still not seen it, or Dark Night OR Indiana Jones!!!!

But I will definately be goind to see Saw V at the end of the month. I love the inteliigence behind the movie, with twists and turns.

D/Ling Batman and Ironman as I type(that's a clue GP) Grin
Indiana Jones, I hear, sucked ass.

As for Bill Maher, i think his political jokes are very well put together. Like he is more knowledgeable about what he is speaking of rather then what is just in the news. He has background, that's what I was looking for heh. I am a lot like Carlin, Lewis Black and Doug Stanhope in the sense that we are funnier when we are pissed. If I am all chipper then the jokes are never there but, when I am pissed off, they start flying out and I get the whole room going
That's right, I said it...

Doubting Thomas
I love Lewis Black's comedy. It really wouldn't work unless he was pissed off, and the way he's pissed off really makes it funny.

General-Pryce
cheshiredragon wrote:
General-Pryce wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

Hmm, I may well have to download. I think with Indy though I'll wait for DVD and buy. Its one of those films that no matter how bad it is, I have to have it in my DVD collection.

cheshiredragon
General-Pryce wrote:
cheshiredragon wrote:
General-Pryce wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

Hmm, I may well have to download. I think with Indy though I'll wait for DVD and buy. Its one of those films that no matter how bad it is, I have to have it in my DVD collection.

I only D/L to try. i am not going to pay 20$ for a DVD that i am going to hate. For example: I had never seen Brokeback Mountain until about 2 weeks ago. Not a movie I want in my collection. I D/Led it, watched it, didn't like it and now it has been deleted. I do lots of things this way; Music, computer games and of course, movies. I think it is a smarter way to shop and you end up spending less. Sure, I'll pay 9$ to goto the big screen. That is just cover for the house and being able to watch it on their giant HD screen and mega-watt sound systems.

Doubting Thomas wrote:
I love Lewis Black's comedy. It really wouldn't work unless he was pissed off, and the way he's pissed off really makes it funny.

Much agreed! I think that some people just have a way of expressing their comedy. Some like to act like morons, others rage and some are just plain goofy. I am an angry comic like Mr. Black. Jokes just roll of the tongue so much easier that way.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 10/03/2008 00:17
That's right, I said it...

neilmarr
There's a website now for Religulous, with a trailer. You can catch it on: www.religulous.net. Cheers. Neil

Hypatia
We don't go to movies very often (we wait for them to come out on DVD), but I've been waiting for Religulous to come out, and we're going to see it Saturday. Really looking forward to this one.

Doubting Thomas
I may have to wait for it to come out on DVD. Last night it wasn't playing at any of the local movie theaters. I wonder if it will, since this is bible belt country.

Hypatia
Who has seen Religulous? What thought ye?

My husband and I saw it Saturday, and we loved it. I'll say no more until after others have seen it.

While we were standing in line to get a soda my husband noticed that the ticket agent had given us tickets to a different movie (hmmmm. Of course, I'm always suspicious, heh heh), so we had to go to the customer service counter to exchange them for Religulous. Argh. We missed the very beginning of the movie - I really hate that. So we're going to see it again Tuesday because we want to see the beginning, and we'd like to see it again. We'll go to the matinee again so it'll be a little more affordable.

We were pleasantly surprised to see that the theatre was packed for the showing we went to.

DT - I didn't realize KS was that bible beltish. Damn. I hope one of your theatres will play it.
Edited by Hypatia on 10/13/2008 02:20

Doubting Thomas
Yes, Kansas is a very conservative state. What's worse is that I live very close to Missouri, which is even more conservative Christian. It's nothing to drive down the road and see billboards urging people to repent and spouting bible passages.

Jump to Forum: