View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Movie Discusssions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Religulous
catman
Sinny wrote:she won't spend money on non religious movies, books but expects me to. Will I do that :no:
I think you meant to say that she expects you to spend money on religious stuff, didn't you?Wink I spend no money on religious stuff; they got enough of my money when I was religious. There is much better fiction for me to spend my money on!

That book is...well...not something I would want to read. The readers' comments are the most appalling part of the amazon.com page. People like that who are looking forward to the 'end times' and Jesus coming back scare me.
Edited by catman on 01/03/2009 20:55
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
He he yes Catman that is what I meant. I said it wrong the first time thanks for catching that one. They scare me too and think they tried to get me into it to the point where they wanted me to look forward to it. Thing is when the thought of their looking forward to it scared me they thought I was scared thinking I wasn't saved LOL. They sure do like the idea of scaring people. One even said she didn't mean to scare me and I said flat out it's not a belief that it will happen that scares me....It's your looking forward to something like that happening that scares me! her smug smile, more like a smirk, dropped right quick when I said that.
Edited by Sinny on 01/04/2009 13:14

General-Pryce
According to one review, one of only two to give less than 4 stars, the book is full (surprise, surprise) of historical errors. Here's the review:

I was enjoying Mr. Jeremiah's chapter on what the spirit
said to the seven churches. Then I came upon this
comment by the author: "Herodotus, the historian, records
that over the course of many years the church in Sardis had
acquired a reputation for lax moral standards." My enthusiasm
dropped a bit with that. Herodotus wrote his history in 440 B>C. That was hundreds of years before the Christian era.
The report on the Sardis church had to have come from some other historian. I tried to ignore this error and just enjoy
the insights about Revelation. Then, Mr. Jeremiah tells us that
the Emperor Constantine reigned in the third century. Well,
no, he didn't. Constantine was emperor in the fourth century.
Call this nitpicking if you will. After all I'm not a scholar
or a writer. But I am a pretty fair reader, and it seems to me
that an author needs to make sure of all his facts, lest his
readers begin to wonder if he has command of even his main topic. I'll finish the book though. He is probably as much an
authority on the book of Revelation as almost anyone else.

These two errors are quite simple and bound right off the page. They are the type of errors that any one who has studied the material they are writing about will know as incorrect.

The Constantine one shouldn't even need researching. It's a fairly common piece of information and a vital part of Christianity's growth.

catman
Sinny wrote: One even said she didn't mean to scare me and I said flat out it's not a belief that it will happen that scares me....It's your looking forward to something like that happening that scares me!

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

GP: Right...I've known for decades about the year 313 CE, which was supposedly the year when Constantine converted to Christianity. Fourth century all the way!
Edited by catman on 01/04/2009 15:09
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Religulous was released on DVD a couple of days ago.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Doubting Thomas
I was at our local video store a few days ago but didn't see it. I'll probably go look for it this weekend.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
Do you have a Borders store where you are DT? The Borders here have it, and I imagine any of the stores like Barnes and Noble, Hastings, etc., should too.

Bob of QF
Hypatia wrote:
Religulous was released on DVD a couple of days ago.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Saw it in a local theater. I totally enjoyed it.

But then again... he was playing my song the whole time. Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Skeeve
I feel like some religion bashing...think I'll check Hastings tomorrow. I've heard it was predictable and not very original, but what the hell.

Religion is static, whats been said has been said for years, there are only so many ways to make fun of it.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Yeah, I'd still like to see it. Bill Maher can get carried away with himself on occasion, but at least he's got the right idea in general.

Doubting Thomas
No, there's not a Borders store close, but there is a Hastings. But I'll check out our local rental place tonight & see if they've got it.

I know they have Ben Stein's "Expelled," so just for fun I might rent it and let both DVD's fight it out! But... if they don't have Religulous, I won't bother getting Stein's piece of crap.

Doubting Thomas
Good and bad news, and good news. The good news is that the local video rental place has a couple of copies of Religulous in. The bad news is that there's only two of them and they've both been rented out. But the other good news is that other people besides me are watching it, and hopefully getting their eyes opened.

catman
Eww...Expelled. Thanks, but no thanks!Grinumpie:

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Good and bad news, and good news. The good news is that the local video rental place has a couple of copies of Religulous in. The bad news is that there's only two of them and they've both been rented out. But the other good news is that other people besides me are watching it, and hopefully getting their eyes opened.

Yeah, that is good, DT. I'm glad you'll eventually be able to rent and watch it too.

The Borders I bought my copy from had just the one copy left, so apparently it's been selling pretty well there. There are a couple of other Borders stores in town, and they may have had more copies in stock, and there are, as I mentioned, the other stores too. I'm curious as to how well it's selling altogether.

Cat - lol. But I may watch Expelled sometime, if/when I have nothing else to do (can't foresee that in the near future, though) just to check it out.

Doubting Thomas
Actually, as soon as I get done reading & posting here, I'm going to go watch an oldie but goodie, Platoon with Charlie Sheen.

"Ya ever smoke any of that shit? When you smoke that shit, things kind of get all weird."

General-Pryce
Doubting Thomas wrote:
No, there's not a Borders store close, but there is a Hastings. But I'll check out our local rental place tonight & see if they've got it.

I know they have Ben Stein's "Expelled," so just for fun I might rent it and let both DVD's fight it out! But... if they don't have Religulous, I won't bother getting Stein's piece of crap.

I really advise against watching expelled. In my whole life I've only ever had to turn off two films before the end because they were so bad. Expelled is one of them, I couldn;'t watch it. I got all the way through Jesus Camp, as offensive as it is, but Expelled I had to turn off half way through. Its not even slightly interesting, and Ben Stein could win Olympic Gold with how DULL he is!

If anyone's interested, the other movie I couldn't watch was the Rocky Horror sequel "Shock Treatment" so bad, but some very catchy songs- check out the title song "Shock Treatment", "Denton" and "Little Black Dress" on Youtube.

cheshiredragon
RELIGULOUS!!!
I finally watched it last night. I have had it for weeks now but, never found a night where I had 90 solid minutes of uninterrupted silence.
Before this movie I thought Bill Maher was a borderline believer because I never saw eye to eye on some of his stand up routines. Well, this movie cured me of that and I would have asked the same questions of these people he interviewed. AND WOW, did he find some winners. I don't know where he found these people but, they dug their own graves and I can tell you that at least a few of those people thought twice about themselves OH and some, truly are insane and still out in the public. I HIGHLY recommend this documentary. I will warn you that this will also scary the shit out of you. He interviews a person of power...a Senator. His responses are frightening, just pay attention to his body language, THAT is what truly made my skin crawl.

Hypatia
I loved that Maher presented his inquiries and questions in such a non-offensive, matter of fact manner, but yet was still absolutely serious, but the humor was just naturally there - with him and the entire situation of 'god' and religion.

Even so, true to life, there were those who, not quite sure, still said, 'If you're questioning my 'god' and my religion, I'm outta here. You just don't do that, and that's just it.' lol. All he (anyone) had to do was ask the most inoffensive, simple questions, and not even sure if their 'faith' is being questioned, some people said 'If yer gonna do that there stuff I'm a gonna leave this here place, doin' this here stuff... '
Edited by Hypatia on 03/11/2009 17:22

Doubting Thomas
That's because Christians are taught to not even question the most basic tenents of their religion. Questioning Christianity is tantamount to blasphemy in their minds.

It could also be that they knew what side Maher was on, so instead of trying to debate him and end up looking like an idiot, they decided to not speak to him at all. I am guessing, of course, because I haven't seen it yet.

Hypatia
Well yeah, that's true, and partially true, but then he also had an interesting conversation with a priest in front of the Vatican.

So since you haven't seen it yet, and I know you want to, it's probably best those of us who have not discuss it in too much detail, lest we give away all the mysteries, eh? Grin

Jump to Forum: