View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Why atheism?
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Probably no god on the bus
RayvenAlandria
What a disgusting piece of garbage he is. I'm sure if an Atheist refused to drive a bus with God shit all over it, he/she would be fired on the spot.

It makes me angry that Christians think they are allowed to be bigots but if anyone non-Christian takes offense at all the Christian advertising/brainwashing that floods the world they start to cry about how those non-christians are committing hate crimes against the poooooor little christians. :upsetw:

cheshiredragon
RayvenAlandria wrote:
What a disgusting piece of garbage he is. I'm sure if an Atheist refused to drive a bus with God shit all over it, he/she would be fired on the spot.

It makes me angry that Christians think they are allowed to be bigots but if anyone non-Christian takes offense at all the Christian advertising/brainwashing that floods the world they start to cry about how those non-christians are committing hate crimes against the poooooor little christians. :upsetw:

It angers me too. This is why we have to be tactical and pick our battles well. We may not be doing much but, atheists are making headway thanks to the one who want to push back in the public eye. I, on the other hand, like to do my magic behind the scenes.
That's right, I said it...

catman
I think the theists are the one promoting magic. But I know what you mean, CD. Whenever I think there is an opportunity for me to express my viewpoint with a fair chance of being heard out, I do so.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
Would an atheist, if he decided he wasn't going to drive a bus with a sign in it that read "There's definately a god -- believe or you'll go to Hell!" be a disgusting piece of garbage?
Edited by Cynic on 01/17/2009 16:39

Nails3Jesus0
Cynic wrote:
Would an atheist, if he decided he wasn't going to drive a bus with a sign in it that read "There's definately a god -- believe or your go to Hell!" be a disgusting piece of garbage?

No, the message amounts to nothing but thuggish blackmail.

RayvenAlandria
BS comparison Cynic.

The two messages are not similar. There is a difference between a threat and a message meant to make people LOSE fear.

If an Atheist refused to drive a bus that had an advertisement that read "Come to so and so church, you will be welcomed with loving arms" or something NON-THREATENING, then yes, he'd be a disgusting piece of shit and a hateful bigot. Now, if the company allowed Christians to advertise but did not allow other religions, (or non-religions), to do so, and an Atheist driver took offense and refused to work for them, that would be understandable and perfectly okay.

Cynic
Ask a Christian if they see the turn or burn advertisements as a threat and they'll inform you that they're put up out of loving concern for the welfare of those whose souls they fear are in danger. A bus driver who subscribes to that notion and sincerely feels that a message encouraging people away from salvation isn't, therefore, anymore of a "disgusting piece of garbage" than a bus driver who refuses to drive a bus bearing a message they feel is equally destructive.

The only BS here is the idea that it's acceptable to declare people disgusting pieces of garbage just because they've chosen to stand on principle on the "wrong side" of devisive issue.

RayvenAlandria
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. (Doesn't mean I give a shit about it, just means you're entitled to it.)

catman
C'mon, y'all, can't we all just be friends? (I can't believe I said that.)

I wouldn't call the guy a "disgusting piece of garbage". I regard him as an unthinking product of conditioning, probably from the time he was a small child. He probably can't sleep without a nightlight.
Edited by catman on 01/18/2009 01:11
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
Harsh maybe but true nonetheless. i will not agree completely with RA's tone but I will agree with the sentiment.

I would like to further suggest that atheists can be characterized as "a disgusting piece of garbage" and few if any christians would defend them.

I would like, in my arrogance, to suggest that that somewhat proves the superiority of atheism.

Doubting Thomas
But didja ever notice that it's always Christians who make a big stink by refusing to do this or that because they think it contradicts their religious beliefs? Remember the Christian pharmacists who were refusing to distribute birth control medication because they thought it was immoral? Remember the billboard companies refusing to carry messages aimed toward atheists by other atheists? What about Christians boycotting stores because they say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas?"
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
But didja ever notice that it's always Christians who make a big stink by refusing to do this or that because they think it contradicts their religious beliefs? Remember the Christian pharmacists who were refusing to distribute birth control medication because they thought it was immoral? Remember the billboard companies refusing to carry messages aimed toward atheists by other atheists? What about Christians boycotting stores because they say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas?"

Yeah, I noticed that.

I have a theory: at heart, everyone has doubts about, well...everything.

An atheist/agnostic is just honest about those doubts, and has embraced them into his/her being.

A christian hates to be reminded that these doubts even exist, so he/she likes to pretend they do not exist--even though they do.

The false piety of protest? It's a way to avoid looking deeply with, and seeing the doubt.

Faith is myth, at best. They are only trying to convince *themselves* that they really do believe.....especially when they don't.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: