View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Why atheism?
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Probably no god on the bus
neilmarr
The British Humanist Association has raised 18,000 (5,000 in a single donation from Richard Dawkins alone) and is plastering an ad on the side of London buses ... "There's probably no God, so stop worrying about it an enjoy your life."

What do they mean "probably"? Seems to me like a cop out.

But I wonder, anyway, which religious group will be first to prompt drivers and/or passengers to boycott public transport in protest.

Neil

catman
I think they said "probably" because it's more palatable that way, and because no one can prove that there is no god. After all, Dawkins said that there is a possibility, but the likelihood is vanishingly small.

In any case, perhaps it will cause people to think.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
***perhaps it will cause people to think***

You reckon, Cat? Neil

seeker
It sounds to me like something Douglass Adams would have written.

Hypatia
I think they used 'probably' to avoid the inevitable hassle of being challenged to prove there isn't a god/s if they'd said 'There's no god, so stop... '.

The boycotts are inevitable, but because so many rely on public transit it will be interesting to see how far that will go. That the ads were permitted to be placed on the sides of the buses (even though paid for) says a tremendous mouth full.

derF
Neil, I agree with the others. By using 'probably' they don't completely slam the door in the face of the grim believers and spare themselves the tedious and time consuming attacks from the fundies who would demand retraction if the statement were couched in words that gave no wriggle room. But I would love to have a picture of one of those adds on the buses.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

General-Pryce
I've read this article somewhere else (can't remember where) and the reason they have to say "probably" is that was the only way it would be passed by the Advertising Standards Authority. To directly say "there definately is no God" would not be allowed any more than saying "there definately is a God."

The advertisers have to follow strict guidlines and that's why they said "probably"

derF
Thanks for that information G P . That makes sense, or course.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
neilmarr wrote:
***perhaps it will cause people to think***

You reckon, Cat? Neil

Just trying to be optimistic. Of course they probably won't.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
[img]http://www.randi.org/joom/images/stories/bus102408.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Cynic
I'm not sure I like the emphasis on enjoying your life. I mean, of course that's a good thing. Just thinking that religious people will immediately translate that into "do whatever the hell you want now that the weight of morality is lifted". Sure that's an ignorant interpretation, but it's ignorant people this is aimed at, right?

catman
Religious people will always find a way to fuck it up for the rest of us.

Hypatia
That's because we don't scream at the top of our lungs about being persecuted if we 'don't get our way'.

catman
That is probably so, but we receive little consideration from others. To many of them, we deserve to be persecuted.

Theory_Execution
Cynic, that was precisely my issue with this idea. However I came across this advert mentioned on a christian website, and they seemed to run through what has been said here.

Probably as a case of advertising standards, definates can only be supported with evidence and that it will make people think.

Sadly they came to the conclusion that it will make people think about gods, and send them on their way to finding one - bollocks of course - you dont get to the age of reason knowing nothing about religion, especially on public transport.

You are pretty much guaranteed to run into a religious nut handing out NWO Zionist shit.

Sinny
It might get some to think stop worrying about the end of the world or it might get some to STFU with the preaching on the bus and in public.

They usually try to cover up the in your face attitude with the bullshit of 'I'm worried, concerned about your soul'. Well now we can say
'There's probably no god so stop worrying and enjoy your life'.

This should or maybe could open a door to stopping them from saying there is a god, god is real. They should be saying there probably is a god or probably god is real not directly saying it's real or exists. We can't say it's not real, we can't advertise that it's not real but they can advertise and say it is real. *sigh* we have to take baby steps with them.
Edited by Sinny on 10/26/2008 15:54

willie
All seems a little pointless to me.

Although I did see a suspicious looking muslim (they're all fanatics, you know Wink )with a backpack, stood at a bus stop, who seemed wracked with sudden indecision.

Sinny
I'd watch out more for Pastor Becky Fisher. Don't be surprised if one o the kids grows up to do just that.

Bob of QF
The latest in the "no god" bus events:

http://news.bbc.c...832647.stm

This hypocrite refuses to drive the bus with the "probably no god" slogan.

Yet I'm certain he cheerfully drove buses with ads for booze, cigarettes and other unhealthy stuff on them...

If you read the article, he later backed down, and said he'd only drive these if there were no other buses available.

Way to stick to your guns, there dude.... <eyeroll>

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

cheshiredragon
Bob of QF wrote:
The latest in the "no god" bus events:

http://news.bbc.c...832647.stm

This hypocrite refuses to drive the bus with the "probably no god" slogan.

Yet I'm certain he cheerfully drove buses with ads for booze, cigarettes and other unhealthy stuff on them...

If you read the article, he later backed down, and said he'd only drive these if there were no other buses available.

Way to stick to your guns, there dude.... <eyeroll>

Wow I had forgotten all about this stuff.

What an idiot this guy is. I sure hold on to my beliefs stronger than that. He is just afraid of losing his job though.
That's right, I said it...

Jump to Forum: