View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
North Texas Church of Free Thought
cheshiredragon
SO, I went to the NTCOF and I have to say I was rather pleased with my experience. About 80-100 people showed up and a good 50 gathered down the street at Jason's Deli for lunch afterwards.
I was able to speak with Miss Brown(Lori Lipman Brown) before her speech and she sat next to me at Jason's Deli and we spoke there as well. I made a couple of good contacts named Vincent and another Mickey. Vincent looks a lot like catman back in the day except he has a face full of piercings. Mickey is a good connect guy. Has information on web sites, other contacts and a human calendar for all goings on of the events.
I met other people but, cannot remember their names for the life of me. All in all I spoke with about 10 people for a good length of time while enjoying lunch. I never had the privilege of sitting(face to face) with other non-believers and shooting the breeze about non-belief. It was very invigorating for me and I felt right at home with them, which is extremely rare in a public setting with people I don't know. However, with being here on the site with you all, I felt like I already knew them.
This will be a place I attend regularly, since I like the subject matter and I was invited to game night on Friday, by Mickey.
Catman, you really missed out. I know you do gigs and the like on Sat but, this is the first Sunday of every month. Only once a month you gotta go.
Being there made me want to get AtheistAlliance.net back up and running on its own instead of a redirect. I also want to help volunteer at some of the events they have going on. I have never been part of a social group but, I like it a lot.

I have some not very good pictures cause of where I was sitting but, when I get home this evening; I'll throw a few up here.
That's right, I said it...

neilmarr
Sounds like the kind of company I've always dreamed of finding myself in, CD. Glad it went so well for you. Bet I'm not the only one here who would appreciate being thought of as there in spirit next time you all get together. Thanks for such an enthusiastic review. Neil

Sugarfree
Im glad events like this happen, its a shame us members of this 'ere site are so wide-spread (or is that a blessing?..). Why is there no North Oxford Church of Free Thought?! Sad
SF.

catman
CD: Thanks for the review. I tried to get over there, but I had only had four hours of sleep by then and my back hurt (it still does). I'll try to make it next month. I'm surprised that so many people attend.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
I want results, not excuses!
Seriously, though you have to go it is really kewl and its nice to be able to talk shit about religion in public AND have the rest of the crowd agree.

I even plugged the site. I didn't write it down for anyone. That will be for when I get to know more of them better and the whole reason I am getting my site back online. Working on it now Smile hopefully will be up by end of NOV.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 11/03/2008 19:50
That's right, I said it...

catman
It will great to have your site go back up, CD. Can't have too many. I'm glad you were inspired.Wink AtheistAlliance.com was groovy, totally tubular and fab.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

General-Pryce
When I go down to Leicester, there is a meeting group (mainly it seems of old men with beards drinking real ale- BLISS, I'm even working on a beard myselfGrin) and this group meets once a month to discuss the paranormal in a sceptical manner. Considering the venture I'm embarking on they may be good company, even if I can only get there maybe twice a year. It's called Sceptics in the Pub!

Nails3Jesus0
Man, I wish I had something like that where I live. No such luck. I'm a unicorn where I live, as far as I know.

Hypatia
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and the company you were in so much CD, and that you've been inspired, especially regarding your website. I completely agree with Cat in his assessment of it.

Jump to Forum: