View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
NBC Just Called Election - Obama!
Hypatia
Yay!

Skeeve
If you have the stomach, take a look at the sick individuals at http://freerepubl...

There are some twisted fucks over there.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
333 electoral votes for Obama, 156 for McCain.

I listened to McCain's concession speech and can hardly believe - even for him - that he attributed Obama's win to his race, essentially saying that black Americans want to have a black president. Just when I thought he no longer could say anything stupid enough to 'surprise' me. *rolls eyes*

From the site Skeeve posted:
Obama won, we got what we deserve. We took God out of school. We told God we knew better, we told God we didn't care. We told God life didn't matter. We told God we didn't need Him. Greed and lust and all that is evil and greedy is what we desire and all that is Godly be damned. We will reap what we sow. The country our founding fathers prayed for God to bless, we just simply squandered. God will not be mocked. Does anyone hear Taps? We're done stick a fork in it. America is OVER!!!

Is that you Westboro Baptist Church?? lol.
Edited by Hypatia on 11/04/2008 23:45

derF
Hypatia wrote:
333 electoral votes for Obama, 156 for McCain.

I listened to McCain's concession speech and can hardly believe - even for him - that he attributed Obama's win to his race, essentially saying that black Americans want to have a black president. Just when I thought he no longer could say anything stupid enough to 'surprise' me. *rolls eyes*

From the site Skeeve posted:
Obama won, we got what we deserve. We took God out of school. We told God we knew better, we told God we didn't care. We told God life didn't matter. We told God we didn't need Him. Greed and lust and all that is evil and greedy is what we desire and all that is Godly be damned. We will reap what we sow. The country our founding fathers prayed for God to bless, we just simply squandered. God will not be mocked. Does anyone hear Taps? We're done stick a fork in it. America is OVER!!!

Is that you Westboro Baptist Church?? lol.

It must be really disheartening to the right to realize how mean, cold and indifferent their god can be to allow a black man who is obviously out to destroy the very fabric of our democracy to become President. But I'll bet you gold ingots for appleseeds that they won't, for a single second, feel that they had anything to do with this unacceptable outcome in the election. For theirs is the right religion, theirs is the right book and theirs is the only real god. Self centered little c * * * suckers. Apologies to any of my friends here that might be offended by my little * * * riddled swear word.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
I heard most of Son of Cain's concession speech, but I missed that racial slur in there.

I did not fail to notice that his "supporters" were a bunch of clods, booing and such...

Then I went and listened to Obama's speech, and for the first time in many years, I was moved by a politician's words.

I proudly admit I voted for Obama, but since I'm in inbred Oklahomer, my vote was wasted..... stupid electorial college.

But my candidate won anyway, by a nice margin, too.

I really did not think I would live long enough to see inbred racial hatred overcome at the national level by such a dramatic thing as the office of the president.

Now if only the dems can avoid shooting themselves in their collective feet, and work with him, we may see our country return to a CONSTITUTIONAL republic, instead of the near-monarchy it's become under the rethuglicans...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Texas was solidly for McCain, so my vote was wasted too. But it was closer than it has been for some time, so that's encouraging. Dallas County actually went for Obama, but Tarrant County where I am was Republican all the way.

The McCain followers during his concession speech were frightening. Shades of the Sturmabteilung.

After listening to Obama's victory speech, I swear that guy can charm the birds down out of the trees. What an orator the man is, and I think his fine sense of history will serve him (and us) well.

There is one point that should have been emphasized: He isn't simply an "African-American" President-elect. He's a biracial President-elect, as much white as black. Of course, now that I've just said that, I hear someone on MSNBC making that point.

Does anyone other than me think Rachel Maddow is really good-looking, as well as being quite a talented political commentator?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Bob of QF wrote:
I heard most of Son of Cain's concession speech, but I missed that racial slur in there.

I did not fail to notice that his "supporters" were a bunch of clods, booing and such...

Then I went and listened to Obama's speech, and for the first time in many years, I was moved by a politician's words.

I proudly admit I voted for Obama, but since I'm in inbred Oklahomer, my vote was wasted..... stupid electorial college.

But my candidate won anyway, by a nice margin, too.

I really did not think I would live long enough to see inbred racial hatred overcome at the national level by such a dramatic thing as the office of the president.

Now if only the dems can avoid shooting themselves in their collective feet, and work with him, we may see our country return to a CONSTITUTIONAL republic, instead of the near-monarchy it's become under the rethuglicans...

I am fully behind you on that

seeker
Bob - That's my biggest worry too, that the dems will go as overboard as the republicans did when they got into power. Fortunately Obama strikes me as being too smart to let anything like that happen.

Cynic
I think now Democrats and Republicans can stand together and agree that we are now an obamanation. Smile

neilmarr
Just wish Bush and McCain wouldn't craft their losers' words to suggest that -- more than anything else -- this is a victory for African Americans.

Sure, it's a giant step for them; a famous dream coming true. But they represent only 13% of the electorate, I think. This was all America speaking loudly and a victory for the country and, by extention, for the world as a whole.

Black, white, brown, pink or red, you all deserve a cheer.

Very best. Neil

Hypatia
Exactly Neil - Obama was elected by not only black Americans, but by women, young, old, Hispanic, White, well, no need to reiterate what you've pointed out.

There were also a lot of first time voters and people who had never voted or who haven't voted in a long time, so I think that speaks broad volumes about who voted in this particular election, and the various people who voted Obama into office.

catman
In this election, nearly everyone who could possibly vote did so. They all knew there was too much at stake not to.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
catman wrote:
In this election, nearly everyone who could possibly vote did so. They all knew there was too much at stake not to.

And the youth turn out and black and hispanic voters numbers increased dramatically also.

seeker
derF wrote:
... hispanic voters numbers increased dramatically also.
Yeah the spics really hit the fan.

Cynic
Well, I guess you can get away with that one Seeker. Smile

I'd like to point out that in all likelihood, Nader cost Obama Missouri. Just for the record.

seeker
I'm still pissed at Nader for costing Gore in 2000

JohnH
Not significant at this point but Gore cost Gore the 2000 election. Remember he could not even win his home state of Tennessee. I have had this argument repeatedly with friends. I think the fact he could not win his home state is very telling. He was and remains a bore. An accurate bore but a bore. The dems felt that it was the natural progression of things to promote the vp. It was in fact a mistake. I will not dispute that as a country we would have been much better off with Gore rather then junior, that is not at all part of my point.

I am with most of you that it was an emotional and very happy time when Obama was elected. I had to leave a hankerchief hung up over night to dry.

But if you expect Obama to do anything dramatic without a significant push from the people you are wrong. Immediately after the nomination he practically crawled before the AIPAC, his first appointment was Rahm Emmanuel a rabid supporter of Israel. Our uncritical support of Israel has caused many of our problems in the middle east, no one who has observed this region for any length of time can disagree with this.

The names suggested for secretary of the treasury are recycled from previous administrations and the financial institutions that have got us into the mess we are in.

Whatever his plan is to get out of Iraq is at best unclear.

Obama may be a man of color. That does not mean he is Jessie Jackson in political intent. He appears to be a main stream politician who happens to be different.

If you are on the left do not think it is a done deal. Make him deliver on change.

P.S. I thought that McCain's concession speech was quite gracious and probably the best one he had made in months.
Edited by JohnH on 11/06/2008 22:42

Cynic
When was the last time we heard a concession speach that wasn't gracious?

catman
As long as we have a Christian president (or Jewish!), we will support Israel. As long as most of the people in this country are Christians, we will have a Christian president.

seeker: I feel the same way about Gore/Nader in 2000.

derF
One of Gore's biggest mistakes was keeping Clinton out of the campaign. Clinton was still hugely popular and by turning his back on Bill. Gore really did shoot himself in the foot.

Jump to Forum: