View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
GIFT - Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory
cheshiredragon
So, today at work I was thinking about all the trollish kids coming to the site lately and I had a theory that sprouted from them and a news story I read not to long ago. I came up with GIFT, the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory and pretty much states:
Normal person + Anonymity + Audience = TOTAL FUCKWAD

I drew an illustration to sum up how I feel about them.
[img]http://76.186.247.71:81/pics/totalfuckwad.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
That's right, I said it...

JohnH
I have always thought it interesting how the anonymity of the internet can bring out the very worst in some people.

I am a few months from retirement. I have started to build my own fishing (primarily fly) rods for enjoyment and use. There is a great forum with all kinds of useful advise that I look at for that advise. As an aside, you should see some of the beautiful rods some of these people build, some professional at it, but even the amateurs do a beautiful job. The forum is quite tame with no political, not even any conservationist discussions. Everyone, including the professionals, is very encouraging and helpful. It is all about the craft.

So for a week it was out of whack. Some idiot/s with computer skills screwed them up. What purpose did that serve other then the fact that you could do it. As you say a FUCKWAD.

neilmarr
Just over the road from my wee place is a majestic old building that's stood there for centuries. The facade is currently being expertly refurbished.

There's plenty of blank white space now, so -- even though the job's not yet finished and the scaffolding is still up -- the midnight grafitti trolls have already struck and ruined everything.

And this (like John's fishing website) in a little visited nook and cranny of a quartier where we live as close friends and neighbours.

There seems to be some kind of moronic spoiler mentality driving folks with absolutely zero creativity of their own to resent and wreck anything -- physical or social -- that represents hope and decency.

And, sadly, there's no doubt whatsoever that the culprits are kids ... the very generation that stands to gain most from what progress we're striving to make today.

Neil

seeker
Man's greatest skill has always been destruction.

Sinny
Perhaps if there was a way to find them through the internet so they could have criminal charges brought up on them..then they would think twice. Problem is how does the owner of the site who's being hacked and destroyed by these fuckwads find their ID to press charges and fines. I would think they would have to have an IP to even get on the internet but I'm not sure about that. One can't just simply plug in the computer and instantly get acces to the internet that I know of.

seeker
Its rarely worth it Sinny. Most of the internet vandals are kids that would be very hard to prosecute

cheshiredragon
It is easy to track and logs can be pulled that tracked everything that the wouldbe hacker attempted to do. the reason why large companies don't go after them is because it is such a small crime; why bother wasting the resources, money and court time? Besides it is my job to determine whether it is a real threat or not. If they keep doing whatever they are doing, we will usually send a letter to their ISP telling them to tell their customer to fsck off or else.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 11/07/2008 21:31
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
cheshiredragon wrote:
So, today at work I was thinking about all the trollish kids coming to the site lately and I had a theory that sprouted from them and a news story I read not to long ago. I came up with GIFT, the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory and pretty much states:
Normal person + Anonymity + Audience = TOTAL FUCKWAD

I drew an illustration to sum up how I feel about them.
[img]http://76.186.247.71:81/pics/totalfuckwad.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

There IS something about being "anonymous" and permitting yourself to go "totally postal"

Personally, I think it separates people who really BELIEVE in ethics, social morality and such from people who only pretend to believe in those things....

I like to participate on Topix threads, several that are overtly religious.

What I find is that the more a person utilizes faith to "govern" their outlook, the more likely they are to be a...well a fuckwad. Or more accurately, antisocial.

Those persons that have moved beyond childhood theism, tend to be people who've integrated their ethics/social morality deeply within their being. As such, they are less likely to act like a fuckwad.

Or, in other words: strong religious beliefs are anything but. They are at best a thin veneer, easily discarded at the earliest opportunity.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
I think of these kinds of people as 'humantards', however, I like the term you've coined CD - GIFT. Very good. Except that they aren't really 'gifts', so I think I'd rather say the entire phrase.

Excellent thoughts and reflections on the subject here, all of which I agree with.

CD - for some reason the image you posted isn't loading for me. I'll try looking at it again later - it's probably something on my end here.
Edited by Hypatia on 11/08/2008 14:20

derF
Yeah, Patia, the image isn't loading for me either. But I do agree with the observation that people who tend toward bullying obnoxiousness tend to hide behind the veneer of 'holier than thou' religiousness.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
I have a "broken link" icon instead of the image, too.

Hmmm. I'd say it's an across the ocean thing, except you're in TX.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: