View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Music Search Help
derF
I was wondering if there were any Chicago fans out there. Yes, yes I see a number of you forcing fingers down the backs of your throats. There is one song that I am trying to download and I am having a wicked time finding it. I think it is the extended version of Colour My World. It goes into Only the Beginning or includes it perhaps. But I can't even find a Chicago song listing that lists Only the Beginning. There is a 3 minute version of Colour My World but Only the Beginning isn't part of it. There is a best of album called Only the Beginning. But the song isn't in there either. So I am not sure what I am looking for. It must be a fairly long song, 5 minutes at least and it has some nice intstrumental and percussive interludes in it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do I have bad information? Any help would be appreciated.

Editid.
Edited by derF on 11/07/2008 23:11
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
I was wild about early Chicago, when they used the horns a lot. I was in a band called 'Dallas County' back in the early 70s that played a lot of Chicago and BS&T. It was a nine-piece band with great horn players from the Lab Bands at NTSU (now UNT).

I don't know of an extended version of Colour My World. Beginnings is a great song. I like it much better. Likewise Make Me Smile. My favorite is probably Questions 67 & 68, just because the band cooks so hard on it.

EDIT: I've been thinking about it, and I do dimly recall an extended version. I got tired of it from playing it too many times, and the flute solo was always flat, the reason being that it was the only song we did with a flute part, so the flute was not warmed up and thus flat. Wind instruments are low in pitch when they are cold.
Edited by catman on 11/08/2008 16:13
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
Pardon my asking but who is BS&T.

seeker
Blood Sweat and Tears

Sinny
There is an extended version of Color my world but it's a bitch to find. I remember sometimes the radio would play the extended version and it's much better.

Derf maybe if you try google or someone on youtube might know or even have it to share with you via yt.

derF
Thank you for the information Catman and Sinny.

derF
Found the song. It is titled Beginnings. (duh!) It is easily available on I-tunes provided you know the name. Catman, you probably are familiar with it already, but if not check it out because it has some of Chicago's horn and rhythm section's best work.
Edited by derF on 11/10/2008 00:20

catman
Of course I am familiar with it. I played it hundreds of times with the band I was in. Did you not see my earlier post in which I correctly named it? It has a fun bass part, with a little solo.

"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Yeah, you were correct catman I didn't read your post carefully enough. Sorry I doubted you. Here is the song in it's entirety as originally recorded along with a montage of Chicago minutia. Thanks, Catman.

http://www.youtub...TB4Yu0x7Ns

Jump to Forum: