View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Opus. R I P
derF
As I do every Sunday morning I got up and stumbled into the kitchen to start my morning cup of coffee and while that was going I groped around on the front porch until I found my newspaper. Freshly brewed cup of steaming joe in hand I settled in to read the most important part of the newspaper first. The comics. The funny pages. That little colorful splash of cheer that brightens the morning and improves my mood.

Always start on the front page, top with the very first strip. . . Opus. Home of my heros Fred the Cat (my avatar) and Opus T. Penguin. (big hearted, big nosed character the strip is named for)

But it wasn't there! There was some other cheesy less well drawn, less clever strip in it's place. Last weeks strip hinted that perhaps Berkeley Breathed (Opus creator) had wanted to move the strip in another direction. Elsewhere in that same newspaper I found an editorial that Breathed had decided to quit drawing Opus and move onto some other endeavors that had opened up for him. So, Opus is gone. Along with Bill and the other characters and a small bit of my Sunday morning happiness. R I P Opus and friends.
Edited by derF on 11/09/2008 20:16
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
That is a shame. I haven't seen Opus for some time, but I enjoyed it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
R.I.P.

*sniff*
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I miss the old Bloom County strip. I had a book of Bloom County around here somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can remember what I did with it.

Opus was always my favorite, aside from Bill the Cat.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Nails3Jesus0
I also loved Bloom County. Steve Dallas was a never ending source of laughter for me.

Doubting Thomas
One of my favorite bits was when Bill the Cat defected to Russia, and sent a picture of him working at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. The picture showed him leaning against a lever with a big warning behind him saying "WARNING! DO NOT LEAN ON LEVER!"
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

derF
Yeah, Bill was one hell of a sophisticated puddy tat. Gonna miss his unsavory little carcass.

i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/frednorrisnielson/Bloom.jpg

Edited: Forgot the damned photo. (getting so feeble minded anymore)
Edited by derF on 11/11/2008 22:56
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: