View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Mormons Tipped Scale in Proposition 8
Skeeve
Here's the story:

http://www.nytime...riage.html

But what caught my eye was the picture accompanying it. By itself next to the story, it seemed like it was just a pic of one of the persons in the story.

But I clicked the pic for a larger view. Read the yellow posters above his head:

atheiststoday.com/images/prop650.jpg

Talk about living in Bizarro World.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
I now regret ever using WordPerfect. I had no idea one of the creators is a religious whack-job.

Bob of QF
Bizarro World? Try willfully self-delusional!

That photo ought to be permanently ensconced in the dictionary under "hypocrite, examples of"
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

schmoo
sigh...

I find myself constantly baffled why those who are not homosexual feel the need to impose heterosexuality on everyone in the world. Whom, exactly, does same sex marriage harm? How are heterosexual people in any way affected by what same sex couples choose to do to legalize their commitment?

Why is this still an issue?

derF
Today, Saturday November 15th there were huge protests up and down the state of California by people who are against proposition 8. Thousands turned out in Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and Sacramento as well a many other smaller cities including Monterey. This thing is not dead yet. Far from it. I think the people have been stimulated by Obama's presidency and finally feel that they can actually have an effect on the outcome of bad legislation and are doing something about it.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
derF wrote:
Today, Saturday November 15th there were huge protests up and down the state of California by people who are against proposition 8. Thousands turned out in Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and Sacramento as well a many other smaller cities including Monterey. This thing is not dead yet. Far from it. I think the people have been stimulated by Obama's presidency and finally feel that they can actually have an effect on the outcome of bad legislation and are doing something about it.

They certainly picked a poor state to promote themselves in (the anti-gay nutters) didn't they?

This may turn out to be a good thing-- if it mobilizes activitists around the country in opposition to the religious types forcing their RELIGIOUS views on the rest of us.

For make no mind, there is zero secular reason to ban gay marriage. I've looked, and I can't find any.

ALL their "reasons" stem from religious belief, and nothing more.

Moreover, there are strong secular reasons to promote marriage of gays: a reduction of promiscuity (both gay and straight) reduces everyone's health costs, by reducing STD's. This can only be a good thing.

And what better way to reduce promiscuous behavior, than to encourage pair-bonding? (marriage and it's various off-shoots)

I see it as a separation of church and state issue, myself. Only RELIGIOUS types voice any opposition to gay marriage....

derF
Let's hope you are right Bob of QF. So far so good. I am going to continue my writing campaign to periodicals and politicians demanding that this be a truly secular government and to keep these religious whackos where they belong. In their pews.

Bob of QF
derF wrote:
Let's hope you are right Bob of QF. So far so good. I am going to continue my writing campaign to periodicals and politicians demanding that this be a truly secular government and to keep these religious whackos where they belong. In their pews.

Agreed: within the confines of their churches, I don't care what they do, actually.

I also hope that I did not come across as "don't worry about it" with regards to Prop8, I think we should worry, and continue to do what we are able.

I just don't think it will stick in Calif. very long.

derF
Bob of QF wrote:
derF wrote:

Agreed: within the confines of their churches, I don't care what they do, actually.

I also hope that I did not come across as "don't worry about it" with regards to Prop8, I think we should worry, and continue to do what we are able.

There are already several lawsuits being prepared by teams of lawyers in San Francisco, Sacramento and other places. I haven't heard any wording yet but know they have been filed at the state level and federal. The Mormon church is going to have to spend a pretty penny proving that they did not overstep their charter with all the money and effort that came from their organization in a successful attempt to pass prop. 8.

catman
I hope the Mormon church gets nailed. But I doubt that they will. Probably they will be allowed a way to save face, even if Prop 8 is repealed. After all, they are theists.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
derF wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:
derF wrote:

There are already several lawsuits being prepared by teams of lawyers in San Francisco, Sacramento and other places. I haven't heard any wording yet but know they have been filed at the state level and federal. The Mormon church is going to have to spend a pretty penny proving that they did not overstep their charter with all the money and effort that came from their organization in a successful attempt to pass prop. 8.

Unfortunately, the Mormons are one of the RICHEST theist groups out there....I'm talking Disney World rich or worse. No, that's not enough; think Donald Trump's holdings at his height.

So, they have pretty pennies to burn and then some.

Bastards.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
I hope the Mormon church gets nailed. But I doubt that they will. Probably they will be allowed a way to save face, even if Prop 8 is repealed. After all, they are theists.

Indeed. the hypocrisy just keeps on piling up.

Jump to Forum: